Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
What If Authors Were Paid Every Time Someone Turned a Page? (Read 1189 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
What If Authors Were Paid Every Time Someone Turned a Page?
Jun 21st, 2015, 8:16am

When I recently learned of Amazon's new plan to pay some authors for each page that a Kindle user reads, I remembered an editor who looked at my one of my book proposals and said something along the lines of, “It feels like you've only got 20,000 words of material. You need at least 80,000 words for a book. Can you pad it?"

This was when books were printed on paper and sold in stores. My editor explained that readers wanted to feel like they got some heft, both physical and intellectual, for their money, and no one wanted a scrawny featherweight of book. Big thoughts were heavy and thick tomes telegraphed just how much work went into writing a book—and reading it. I'm slightly embarrassed to report that one of my early books included a fat appendix just so its thickness would stand out on the shelf.

Soon, the maker of the Kindle is going to flip the formula used for reimbursing some of the authors who depend on it for sales. Instead of paying these authors by the book, Amazon will soon start paying authors based on how many pages are read—not how many pages are downloaded, but how many pages are displayed on the screen long enough to be parsed. So much for the old publishing-industry cliche that it doesn't matter how many people read your book, only how many buy it.

More here: http://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2015/06/amazon-publishing-authors-pa...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: What If Authors Were Paid Every Time Someone Turned a Page?
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2015, 11:44pm

Leave it to Amazon to find one more way to beat authors for their dust. Just think how much the readers' short attention span is going to save Amazon -- another fortune to add to the fortunes they have already choked out of the work of authors.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: What If Authors Were Paid Every Time Someone Turned a Page?
Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2015, 11:33pm

Jeangoldstrom wrote on Jun 25th, 2015, 11:44pm:
Leave it to Amazon to find one more way to beat authors for their dust. Just think how much the readers' short attention span is going to save Amazon -- another fortune to add to the fortunes they have already choked out of the work of authors.

I can't decide if this is a good thing or not....

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print