Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sir Christopher Lee - Dead at 93 (Read 1464 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Sir Christopher Lee - Dead at 93
Jun 12th, 2015, 5:34am

Sir Roger Moore, George Lucas and Martin Scorsese have led tributes to screen legend Sir Christopher Lee, who has died at the age of 93.

The actor, who made his name as Dracula, famously played Bond villain Scaramanga and starred in both The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars.

Bond co-star, Sir Roger Moore, tweeted his sadness at losing "an old friend".

George Lucas hailed "a great British actor of the old school. A true link to cinema's past and a real gentleman".

US director Martin Scorsese said he was "really going to miss him".

More here...http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-33106646

And here...
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/11/entertainment/christopher-lee-dies/

Oh well, I don't even know where to start with a tribute. This guy was in everything, all the time and was great at it!

He will be missed....

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: Sir Christopher Lee - Dead at 93
Reply #1 - Jun 13th, 2015, 12:59pm

So right, Webbie. Thanks for putting a tribute to this wonderful actor so well.  Elsewhere, I read someone's post in which they said, "I have seen this guy rise from a coffin so many times, it is really hard to believe that this time he won't."

I'm guesssing that is a tribute the actor would have enjoyed, with a smile.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - Jun 14th, 2015, 10:01am

He lived an incredible life, some of the things he did as a young man...

If Sir Christopher Lee had just been a movie star, he would still have been an icon. But the late actor, who passed away last week, had an amazing life even beyond his incredible body of work. Whether you’re still lamenting his passing or unsure why his death is such a loss, here’s 22 reasons why Christopher Lee will always be a legend.

1) He was entered into the Guinness Book of World Records in 2007 for most screen credits, having appeared in 244 film and TV movies by that point in his career— at which point he made 14 more movies, with a 15th due later this year (titled Angels in Notting Hill). He also holds the record for the tallest leading actor — he stood 6’ 5” — but also for starring in the “most films with a sword fight” with 17.

2) He mother was an Italian contessa, and through her Lee descended from the Emperor Charlemagne of the Holy Roman Empire and was related to Robert E. Lee, the Confederate general.

3) He met Prince Yusupov and Grand Duke Dmitri Pavlovich, the assassins of the Russian monk Rasputin. He didn’t do this as research for his later film role as Rasputin (in the 1966 Hammer film Rasputin the Mad Monk), but just as a child in the 1920s.

4) At age 17, he saw the death of the murderer Eugen Weidmann in Paris, the last person in France to be publicly executed by guillotine.

5) During World War II, Lee joined the Royal Air Force but wasn’t allowed to fly because of a problem with his optic nerve. So he became an intelligence officer for the Long Range Desert Patrol, a forerunner of the SAS, Britain’s special forces. He fought the Nazis in North Africa, often having up to five missions a day. During this time he helped retake Sicily, prevented a mutiny among his troops, contracted malaria six times in a single year and climbed Mount Vesuvius three days before it erupted.

6) At some point during the war he moved from the LRDP to Winston Churchill’s even more elite Special Operations Executive, whose missions are literally still classified, but involved “conducting espionage, sabotage and reconnaissance in occupied Europe against the Axis powers.” The SOE was more informally called — and I can’t believe this somehow hasn’t been made into a movie yet — The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare.

7) Lee never said anything specific about his time in the SOE, but he did say this: “I’ve seen many men die right in front of me - so many in fact that I’ve become almost hardened to it. Having seen the worst that human beings can do to each other, the results of torture, mutilation and seeing someone blown to pieces by a bomb, you develop a kind of shell. But you had to. You had to. Otherwise we would never have won.” By the end of the war he’d received commendations for bravery from the British, Polish, Czech and Yugoslavia governments.

8) Speaking both French and Italian, Lee spent his time after World War II he hunting Nazis with the Central Registry of War Criminals and Security Suspects until he decided to give acting a try at age 25. Yes, all of this happened before Lee was 25 years old.

14 More here...http://io9.com/22-incredible-facts-about-the-life-and-career-of-sir-ch-171091736...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Jun 16th, 2015, 12:23am

Webbie, thanks for this fascinating and informative tribute to a man who richly deserved it. I for one surely had no idea about  his life beyond the screen, but now that you have pointed it out I can more thoroughly appreciate what an outstanding and unique individual he was -- and will remain so in our memories.

Again, thanks.

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2015, 8:04am

One of the greatest Actors ever in the fantastic genere, and he played one of the most famous roles in the Horror movies (Dracula...), one of the most famous in Sci-Fi movies (Star Wars...) and one of the most famous, too, in Fantasy movies (a well known sorcerer in Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit...), and so, what else, or what better, might he have ever accomplished?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print