Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Popular Science- a good place to go when fighting writer's block (Read 2205 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Popular Science- a good place to go when fighting writer's block
Aug 26th, 2015, 10:25pm

About 18 months ago, my niece's son wanted to sell me a magazine to raise money for his school. I'm not a magazine person. Why buy a magazine when you can get a real book? Anyway, the only magazine offered that caught my eye was Popular Science. Turns out, it's a pretty cool little magazine. This month it has a nifty little article about Europa and another one about how close we are to becoming cyborgs.
Just for fun, I try to come up with at least one story per month inspired from this magazine. I was already working on a story about the Moons of Jupiter, but there are plenty more articles to choose from.
I keep thinking I should give my old copies to the kids to inspire them but I don't want to give my copies away.
So, y'all, what gets your mind working when you have writer's block?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Popular Science- a good place to go when fighting writer's block
Reply #1 - Sep 5th, 2015, 7:43am

I agree inspiration can be found in unusual places.

Contemporary articles and news items taken to an extreme or un-expected direction seem to be the mainstay of hard sci-fi.

You never know where you will find a gem to work with.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Sep 7th, 2015, 10:20pm

I find if I have writer's block, the best thing to do is relax. Reading helps me relax and, since I have a subscription, I don't feel I have to find something in any particular magazine. Perhaps I'll find something in the next.

View Profile   IP Logged
Samantha Williams
Anotherealm Newbies

Reading and writing
scifi daily

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2015, 11:15am

I have never tried reading Popular Science for ideas, but I will admit to finding inspiration from watching the Science Channel (ugh, TV!)

Music, more often than not, inspires me to write.  :)

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - Dec 22nd, 2015, 7:13am

Just saw a TV show by Popular Mechanics on the top 100 gadgets of our time.

Got me thinking of a whole "What if" train of thought. What would it be like if they weren't invented or if it was taken to the next step.

Kinda like, take cell phones to the next step, implanted cell phones. Then add spam/junk mail/marketing etc. Cue the lawsuit/defense at the trial.

Or the evil subliminal messages that control basic emotions and or thoughts creating a society of either evil or good but then the cell towers break down.  Or are taken over by....

Ahh! The possibilities!

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print