Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Contest stories kaput! (Read 3299 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Contest stories kaput!
Nov 03rd, 2014, 7:40pm

I've been trying for the last few days to get the contest stories back up and running. I have not succeeded in this. Apparently trying to match the software versions up is not going to work no matter how I try it.

Everything from sql version errors to mis-matched modules that won't work with the new system software which is required for the security patches so we don't get hacked again to the other problems has caused me to give it up as a bad job.

It has gone from bad to worse. Patching the assorted files has hit critical mass and they can no longer be patched together.

Sigh...

The down side is the old contest stories are now alive only in a database file that I have no front end to see it with.

So we are going to have to start over from scratch. The question is, start over with what?  :-/

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Re: Contest stories kaput!
Reply #1 - Dec 31st, 2014, 11:36am

Some online gamer spam! I haven't been on the computer for quite a while. What a dilemma! Here's hoping you get the contests up and running soon. I have a lot of faith in you, Webbie! You can do it!

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Contest stories kaput!
Reply #2 - Dec 31st, 2014, 3:13pm

It's quite a pickle.

We had to upgrade the PHP back end which broke the module which is no longer supported. Then I found a newer version but that didn't work with the new version of the CMS. Then I found a patch for the new version but that broke the MySQL database.

So it seems I can have any version of two, but not all three to make it work.  :'(

With the number of stories in the database it is not a trivial matter to export them and reformat to something new. Too many of them. Even if that was done, what of new stories?

Sigh...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print