Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Walking Dead compared to Z Nation (Read 1630 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

The Walking Dead compared to Z Nation
Oct 30th, 2014, 8:49pm

Since it's Halloween, I thought it would be appropriate to discuss something scary. What is any scarier than the zombie apocalypse?
These two shows have almost the exact same plot so it is easy to examine the differences in the writing. Obviously, The Walking Dead is the classier story. But it is interesting to study the differences in character development. Z nation is less serious. As in the time a tornado hit in the Znation. Zombies were whipping around in the tornado and someone said, "At least they're not sharks." It was funny but it put Z Nation in lower standards.
I like them both but clearly The Walking Dead has a better story line.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: The Walking Dead compared to Z Nation
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2014, 9:08am

What is up with the super fast zombies? They can run faster and jump higher that when the were 'alive'?

How long till the sci-fi channel comes out with Z-Nado! The terrifying story of 4 co-eds stuck in a tornado full of zombies!

No one is safe! Ever!

<chuckle> that might actually be a good one! With zombies and parts of zombies falling out of the sky. Better go and check the radar.  Bet they could work global warming into the plot too.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Nov 12th, 2014, 10:05pm

I suspect the writer of Znation is reading the graphic novel of The Walking Dead because they have done the canibals (like TWD) They have done the zombie mass herd (like TWD). Some of the characters seem to be copied off TWD.
Here's my question, how much can you copy off a show like TWD before you get sued?
Not that I plan to copy anything. I just wonder, where do they draw the line?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #3 - Nov 15th, 2014, 11:45am

Great question. Don't have an answer but it's a great question.

Plot lines and franchises. Universes and worlds. How much of a 'variation' before it's it's own unique idea?

Then of course the legal definition of 'Prior Art' comes into play as well.

A really good question.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Nov 18th, 2014, 6:27am

A fine line exists between copying and homage. Steven King deals with that in "Umney's Last Case" where his detective protagonists is reminsiscent of Chandler's Marlowe. I tread that line as delicately as I can with my Gavin McQue stories (homages to or pastiches of Parker's Spenser). Remember this legal truism: anyone can sue anybody for anything. If Disney can get away with stealing Winnie the Pooh, just about anything is fair game. Ultimately, the deciding factor is the conscience of the writer. Heaven help us all.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print