Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Birthday greetings (Read 1180 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Birthday greetings
Jun 11th, 2014, 2:18pm

Ye olde editor is really olde. I turn 65 today. Like a hobbit, I believe in giving small presents to others for my birthday so I am copying an excerpt from my pending Gavin McQue story below (an excerpt because I haven't finished it yet). "Not much of a present," you say? I refer you to LOTR's definition of a mathom. Think of this as one of those and quiver in anticipation of the final work (or shake in disgust--whatever). Look for it in December as my Christmas mathom to all.

Anotherealm has been a godsend for me. I've enjoyed ebvery moment here. I hope to enjoy many more. Here's my mathomical excerpt:

Wedding Bell Boos

"Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yes."

It's about the zillionth time I've asked Melody to marry me. Each time, she's  said "Not yet." I'm so used to hearing it that . . .

"For real?"

She smiles.

"Yes, Gavy, I'll marry you," she says. "It's time enough."

Several kisses later, I gaze into her sweet eyes and ask:

"When?"

"When?"

"Yes, when. Pick a date,"

A small frown crinkles the skin above her nose. This means she's thinking--not that she's angry. Her nose squinches when she's angry. Suddenly, another smile:

"Halloween," she says.

"I need to see a doctor," I say.

"Why?"

"Have to get my hearing checked. I could have sworn you said 'Halloween.'"

"I did say Halloween," she responds, pulling me toward a sofa. We're in her apartment just back from a date. We'd just seen a romantic movie and enjoyed a candle-lit dinner. On the way to her place, I'd decided--for the umpteenth time--to try to ruin our friendship by proposing marriage.  This time, I'd lucked out.

Sort of.

"Melody," I say, sitting with her, "Why on earth would you want Halloween?"

"Think about it, Gavy. You peep for supernaturals for a living. Almost every thing you know is mystical, magical, or otherwise odd. You'll want them to be comfortable at our wedding and what better day than Halloween?"

I see her point--I just hadn't thought about it. Probably because I hadn't thought about inviting anyone I knew to the wedding.

"But what about your family?" I ask.

She flips a hand, "My folks are more flexible than you think. Besides," she adds, throwing her arms around my neck, "They need to expand their horizons."

Melody's folks have charter membership in the gotbux society. They're about as flexible as adamantine and myopic in their horizons. I kiss her adorable nose.

"OK sweetie," I say, "Halloween it is. Where do we tie the knot?"

"How about the Manse?"

The Manse is a cross-dimensional monolith approxmately the size of Passaic. I couldn't afford it if I quadrupled my lifetime salary. I mention this.

"Silly," she says, "The bride's family pays the wedding bills. You just do the ritual."

I am, I think understandably, nonplussed.

"Ritual?"

"Yes, the Drummond wedding ritual. My family has been doing it since forever. The person coming into the family completes it the day before the wedding."

"What is it?"

"October 30th, silly. Halloween's the 31st and . . ."

I count to five. I love this girl, but talking to her is often an exercise in confusion.

"Let me rephrase: what is the ritual?"

"Oh, that. I don't know."

"You don't . . ."

"Daddy's the only one who knows.  After all, he's the eldest of the Drummonds."

-- And that's all for now. I have a surpirse in store with this one. Hope to see you all here for the rest of the year and especially for December. "Happy birthday to me . . . Happy birthday to me . . ."

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Birthday greetings
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2014, 5:42pm

Happy Birthday!  :)

Can't wait till December to see the rest!

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Re: Birthday greetings
Reply #2 - Jun 19th, 2014, 2:18am

Sorry for being late...Happy Birthday to You, indeed!!! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print