Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Jules Verne was born on this day in 1828. (Read 1185 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Jules Verne was born on this day in 1828.
Feb 08th, 2014, 3:55am

Often referred to as the "Father of Science Fiction," Jules Verne wrote his first novel, Five Weeks in a Balloon, at the age of 35. He went on to be the second most translated author on earth, writing books about a variety of innovations and technological advancements years before they were practical realities.

One of my fav authors. How about you?

http://www.biography.com/people/jules-verne-9517579

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: Jules Verne was born on this day in 1828.
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2014, 1:40pm

Smiley I've been collecting Jules Verne's books for quite a while.  Mostly the Fitzroy Edition which was published in the 50s and 60s.  They are abridged, and feel manageable to me.  Often the Fitzroy Edition splits Verne's novels into two separate books.  It's hard to say whether they are the best English translation though.  That's one thing about Verne to take into consideration.  Unless you are fluent in French, you will be reading a translation, and they can vary in quality.  Anyway, I still haven't read them all.  But every so often I love to go back to Verne.

One of the best sites in English I have found for Jules Verne collectors is http://www.julesverne.ca/.  It has an extensive listing of different editions of the books with pictures, plus a lot of background on Verne himself.

John

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Jules Verne was born on this day in 1828.
Reply #2 - Feb 13th, 2014, 12:35pm

J. Davidson Hero wrote on Feb 8th, 2014, 1:40pm:
Smiley I've been collecting Jules Verne's books for quite a while.  Mostly the Fitzroy Edition which was published in the 50s and 60s.  They are abridged, and feel manageable to me.  Often the Fitzroy Edition splits Verne's novels into two separate books.  It's hard to say whether they are the best English translation though.  That's one thing about Verne to take into consideration.  Unless you are fluent in French, you will be reading a translation, and they can vary in quality.  Anyway, I still haven't read them all.  But every so often I love to go back to Verne.

One of the best sites in English I have found for Jules Verne collectors is http://www.julesverne.ca/.  It has an extensive listing of different editions of the books with pictures, plus a lot of background on Verne himself.

John

Some translations are better than others, even so great reads! Good find on the link!

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print