Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
TWO MINUTE REVIEWS: DOOMED -- CHUCK PALAHNIUK (Read 952 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

TWO MINUTE REVIEWS: DOOMED -- CHUCK PALAHNIUK
Jan 02nd, 2014, 5:09am

It takes a lot to gross me out. It's especially difficult to gross me out to the point where I'll stop reading a competently-written piece. Chuck Palahniuk -- well-known author of Fight Club -- managed it with DOOMED. A sequel to another tome titled D A M N E D, this exercise in noxiousness follows the encounters of a 13 year old ghost protagonist only a perverted dung beetle could love. I tried, believe me, I tried to wade through the ongoing gore, goop, goo, and gaaack because Chuck writes well. Unfortunately. His skill at description enhances the loathsome nature of the protagonist and her outrageous family and friends. When one of these slits the throat of a pony at a birthday "party," I quit reading.

Unless you have a stronger stomach than I do, I suggest you don't start.

Rating: 0 smiles Embarrassed

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: TWO MINUTE REVIEWS: DOOMED -- CHUCK PALAHNIUK
Reply #1 - Jan 3rd, 2014, 8:40pm

Dear Gary;

You are so right. What disturbs me is seeing -- at least on the Net -- that "horror" is on the rise, while our beloved science fiction is..."so yesterday."

And much of the "horror" is like the story you described -- not really horrifying, just disgusting.

Well, maybe someday this increasingly popular genre will become sophisticated enough to spawn something like the opening line from (I think it was) Frederic Brown's "Knock." It goes like this:

"The last man on earth sat alone in a room. There was a knock on the door."

Now _that_ is horror!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print