Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Comet! (Read 2381 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
The Comet!
Sep 30th, 2013, 3:51pm

Well done! Smiley

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: The Comet!
Reply #1 - Sep 30th, 2013, 7:28pm

Cheers, Adrienne! As Webbie and Gary said, glad to see you back in the storytelling mode.

Your story started out by reminding me a bit of one of my all-time favorite s-f stories, "The Last Day," by Richard Matheson.

But you took the tale into an unexpected left turn (or right turn -- I'm not being political here!) You went where we weren't expecting the story to go, which is what makes it so outstanding.

"The Last Day" by Matheson was very much of its era -- the 1950s. Your story, however, is very much a story of today -- a very intriguing, thought-provoking story of today.

Thanks!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
gschaade

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Oct 1st, 2013, 8:16am

An absolutely wonderful story. Your skill with dialogue is superb. I always like a story with a message. The Rupert Murdochs of the world have been using the media to manipulate the masses for some time now. I loved the bits of humor too. Thanks, Adrienne.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Oct 1st, 2013, 5:51pm

Thank you all for your kind words! This story is close to my heart because I am a big fan of space exploration. I often think what would we do if we didn't explore space and then we found out a comet was going to hit us?  What if we couldn't do anything but sit there and watch it come? Hopefully if we get threatened by a comet, we will know how to handle it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - Oct 11th, 2013, 12:47pm

Saw this and couldn't help but think of this story!

Could life on Earth end on March 16, 2880? Scientists predict giant asteroid will collide with our planet at 38,000 miles per hour

Asteroid 1950 DA has a 0.3 per cent chance of hitting Earth in 867 years
   This represents a risk 50% greater than an impact from all other asteroids
   If it were to hit, it would do so with an force of 44,800 megatonnes of TNT
Although the probability of an impact is only 0.3 per cent, this represents a risk 50 per cent greater than an impact from all other asteroids.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2454094/Could-life-Earth-end-Marc...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2454094/Could-life-Earth-end-Marc...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print