Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Has the Sci Fy channel 'jumped the shark' with movies like Sharknado? (Read 1340 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Has the Sci Fy channel 'jumped the shark' with movies like Sharknado?
Aug 06th, 2013, 5:32pm

Okay, I'll admit it, I love cheesy sci fi movies.I don't mind movies where you can see the space ship suspended by a string or monsters that are clearly some kid's pet iguana. But come on! Sharknado?
I watched it so I could say I gave it a chance. Actually it wasn't a bad plot--for Fairly Odd Godparents. Which, by the way, is not a bad cartoon.
Everytime I watch a movie like this, I wonder: why does the scyfy channel turn out stupid stuff like this when the world is full of aspiring writers (Such as the people who read this magazine) who would probably write a great screen play for peanuts or maybe even for free?
I'm sure the person who wrote Sharknado is a great writer but they certainly didn't put much work into this movie. Next, look for Ghostshark which Scyfy advertised as being of the same caliber as Sharknado. How is this helping anybody's career?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Has the Sci Fy channel 'jumped the shark' with movies like Sharknado?
Reply #1 - Aug 10th, 2013, 6:24am

One has to wonder at their thinking about the "grade" of movies they produce. Yep, they are "B" movies most of the time. The blonde that screams a lot. The plot that almost makes sense. The lack of proper theme music for the bad guys. Oh! The list goes on and on.

But look at Netflix and some of their offerings such as "House of cards", quality film! Or even some of the offerings from Showtime or even HBO.

Clearly it's not a matter of can't do it, rather it seems to be a matter of won't do it.

Perhaps they worship Roger Corman. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000339/ While not a giant of the industry he sure is prolific.

They may just be filling programming time rather than trying to make an impression on the viewing public.  After all they are really selling advertising time just like all the other channels. The programing just defines the demographic they are selling to.

Even so, would be nice to see something on the level of "Firefly" instead of "Shark whatever".

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Aug 13th, 2013, 8:21am

Well said, webbie. I haven't watched television programming in years. I still watch sports; but even that, far less than when I was younger. I do try to get the DVDs for Game of Thrones, but since I have no television service in my home, I must wait until the DVDs are available. I can do so. I enjoy the shows but, as usual, the books are better.

I occasionally go to Hulu to view some shows I enjoyed: Barney Miller; Night Court; WKRP in Cincinnati; Taxi. These and some others set standards of quality in writing and performance that few even approach today. The 70s for music; the 80s for television; not much after that. For these and other quotes, see my book "Grumpy Sayings from a Curmudgeon."  >:(

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #3 - Aug 13th, 2013, 12:56pm

"Grumpy Sayings from a Curmudgeon." Isn't that on the NY Times best seller list? I'd buy a copy!

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print