Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two writers, two stories, the grand old game (Read 899 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Two writers, two stories, the grand old game
Jul 17th, 2013, 7:58am

Appropos of the All Star break in Baseball, I thought I'd mention two stories I've recently enjoyed by two of my "A-List" writers. Both are about baseball--my first love in sports. One is Calico Joe--a short novel by John Grisham. The other is Blockade Billy--a novella by Steven King. Both tales are intriguing, engaging, and entertaining and both show the writer's love for baseball. King, of course, wrote a famous account of a Boston Red Sox season. I confess that I haven't read that yet, but I intend to do so as soon as I can find it in a library. (Call me cheap.)  Grisham has written a couple of other sports novels--Playing for Pizza and Bleachers--both about football. Neither of those worthy efforts comes close to Calico Joe, though.

Take a few lazy summer afternoons and read these tales. If you like baseball, you'll be charmed. If you don't, enjoy the well-drawn characters and skillful writing. Let me know what you think. Meanwhile: Go Bucs! Go Tribe! (Howzabout a Cleveland/Pittsburgh World Series? Wouldn't THAT frost ESPN?)

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Re: Two writers, two stories, the grand old game
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2013, 5:14pm

I've read Blockade Billy. It will surprise you. Good story.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print