Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Celebrating 75 Years of truth, justice and the American way (Read 1171 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Celebrating 75 Years of truth, justice and the American way
Apr 14th, 2013, 4:02am

Seventy-five years ago someone walking up to a newsstand in Cleveland might have seen something new -- a gaudy, yellow-covered comic book with a man dressed in a circus outfit lifting a car. The magazine bore the equally gaudy title of "Action Comics."

A perfect copy of that 10-cent comic recently sold for $1.2 million, but at the time just seeing that book on display would have meant more than money to the two young Glenville men who created the character.

More here:
http://www.cleveland.com/comic-books/index.ssf/2013/04/superman_75_years_of_trut...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: Celebrating 75 Years of truth, justice and the American way
Reply #1 - Apr 14th, 2013, 11:32am

Great Scott!! Has it been 75 years already?  Supes doesn't look like he's aged a day.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Apr 15th, 2013, 1:04am

Neat comic cover, my friend. I had the first Spiderman as a child and regret not holding on to it. I also had the first Thor, the first Hulk, the first Avengers, the first Iron Man, the first Silver Age Capatain America (introduced in an Avengers as I recall), the first X-Men, and lots of other Marvel firsts. I spent most of my time in the Silver Age reading Marvel's stuff, but still enjoyed Batman, Green Lantern, and Superman from the DC side. Of course, even if I had kept the comics I owned, I would still be churchmouse poor because--unlike the smart guys--I READ the comics. Again and again, I read them and we couldn't afford plastic bags to store them. So they rested in a cardboard box under my bed and when I left home, my mom . . . well, you know the rest. Neat nostalgia for a tax-depressed Monday, though.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #3 - Apr 15th, 2013, 1:00pm

Yea, my mom got my retirement as well, for my own good, of course.

I had some good ones too.

Sadly, I think the story is all to common. That's why they are collectable after all, everybody has a Mom.

Sigh...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print