Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
A Crazy Urge… by Sergio ‘ente per ente’ PALUMBO (Read 2029 times)
Inner Prop
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Mundelein, IL, USA
A Crazy Urge… by Sergio ‘ente per ente’ PALUMBO
Apr 04th, 2013, 4:00am

Congratualtions on your win.

What does "ente per ente" mean and in what language?

I love the image of an outpost on a gas giant's moon and the artifacts of a long gone alien race.

I like the "viral advertising."  You certainly nailed that concept.

I'm personally not a big fan of psychic abilities and I don't think you quite sold it.  You needed to draw the readers more into the story to suspend disbelief; and it needed to be more integral to the plot.  You would have been better off just leaving it out.  It is more of a distraction than anything.  I think the virus works perfectly on it's own without it.

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Re: A Crazy Urge… by Sergio ‘ente per ente’ PALUMBO
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2013, 12:48am

Sorry if I didn't reply before, but I was just on vacation in Austria... Smiley

Anyway, "ente per ente" is a sort of pun, as it translates more or less this way in English = "an institution for an institution" but the pun is only comprehensible in Italian as it comes from "Dente per Dente" that is  like "A tooth for a tooth" in your language, but - without d at the beginning- it creates the fun  and becomes "ente per ente" , as "ente" is "an institution" or a "governmental authority" in English, more or less, as I'm a public servant at present... Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2013, 7:13am

Thanks for the explanation -- a witty pseudonym indeed.

Now, about Austria -- how was it? Not likely I will ever get there, but I'm interested as my grandmother was born in Vienna and went to finishing school there. Wasn't that the perfect preparation for running a boarding house in a small mining town in Colorado in the _very_ early 20th century?  Her life was an epic, for sure.

But I would like to hear more about her native land, if you wouldn't mind telling us a bit about what you saw and heard. Thanks in advance!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2013, 10:10pm

Actually, I like very much the northern countries, just like Austria, Switzerland, Belgium, etc, the same about the womderful Scandinavian countries like Norway, Denmark or also Iceland...that's probably because those are countries were things ( services, means of transportation, offices and so on...) really function, while in Italy things are a bit different...maybe you do know that jest about the man going to hell that is allowed to choose if he wants to enter the hell run by Italians or the ones run by others, and as he asks where the difference is, he is told that the hell run by Italians is better for the souls who have to suffer as in there one day the torturer is off duty, another day the flames don't function, another one the machines giving pains are out of order, another time there is a strike of the guardians, and so it continues... Roll Eyes Cheesy Grin

But, jesting apart and speaking about Austria, well, it's a very beautiful country( where everything really function well...) as the western part (Voralberg and Tirol are alpine regions) appears to be always very snowy until April, while they are sunny and warm in July and August...on the other hand, other regions as Styria, Carinthia and the area of Wien and so on are mostly plains, but they are beautiful indeed...there you can still find, late in the afternoon, the good custom of a wondrous cake and a coffe in a luxury pastry shop, that is something similar to a tea room in the British Isles, a sort of tradition you could have enjoyed in cities like old Turin or Trieste in Italy at the end of 19th century in a way...

Wien , anyway, has got so many beautiful/ancient palaces to see that you need more than one visit ( of many days...)over the course of the years to have a look at all of them...

Then, there are some wonderful resort like Sankt Anton in Arlberg ( a paradise for the ones who love skiing..) that is as famous as (Swiss) Sankt Moritz, but  less and less expensive of course.... Wink.It's a sort of Jackson Hole in the U.S.A. or Whistler in British Columbia, to make you better understand, according to American standards...

Other than that, also towns like Salzburg ( the town of Mozart..), Innsbruck and Klagenfurt are worth more than a single visit, there's too much to see there, too...

If you just need some explanation more about some specific area of Austria, just let me know, as I've visited almost all of it over the course of the years, also the border of Austria/Hungary (that was once within the boundaries of the same Empire...the same was for part of northern Italy - as Milan, Trieste, Venice and so on were included in that Empire in 18th- 19th century) apart some small villages around... Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print