Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The best movies of all time.. (Read 3004 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
The best movies of all time..
Apr 02nd, 2013, 7:40pm

The Princess Bride
Monty Python  and the Holy  Grail
The Wizard of OZ
Casa Blanca
Starwars
Lord of the rings
My fair lady
Willi Wonka
Pee Wees Big  Adventure.
Rocky Horror Picture show

Your thoughts....

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Re: The best movies of all time..
Reply #1 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 9:29pm

Hard to decide...but I just think that  Starwars and Lord of the rings are in a tie so far on my mind... Smileyof course, I'd have voted for Avatar on top of all the movies  if I  found it in the list above... Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 6:37am

The Wizard of Oz, definitely;
then Star Wars.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 8:02am

Nice list, webbie. I would add Finding Nemo, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and The Producers (with Mostel and Wilder). Your choices are also good.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 7:33pm

I'd definitely vote for Blazing Saddles -- a gem, indeed.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Apr 18th, 2013, 2:47pm

I have been told that the Star Wars where Anokin Skywalker becomes Darth Vader- was that revenge of the Sith?- was not only the best movie, it is the best art of any living artist. I guess that includes sculpture, poetry ect.
I heard this on NPR. In my opinion, the only character whinier than Darth is that sorry vampire Anne Rice interviewed.
I think maybe the best movie was Raiders of the Lost Ark. But I also really liked Tremors.
NPR was really blown away by Star Wars. Anybody have any idea why?

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2013, 3:50am

Don't listen to NPR. They're about as far left as you can go and remain in this galaxy  :D. Now, I don't usually care about concepts like "left" or "right" but when an entity like NPR thinks that ANY of the "new" Star Wars films belongs on a list of the best movies of all time, I must demure.

I might let "The Empire Strikes Back" sneak in at the bottom of the list. And, OK,OK, "A New Hope" and "Return of the Jedi" are probably also somewhere in the "best ever" group. But any of the later flicks? Sorry. They belong on a list with "Plan Nine" and "Maximum Overdrive" -- a list for MST3K (Mystery Science Theater 3000), in other words.

I understand that Disney is putting together another episode in the saga. Maybe that's the spur for NPR's sudden interest. Anyway, NPR should stick to broadcasting political commentary and superb music. Their opinions about movies seem a trifle uninformed (not to say stupid).

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #7 - May 1st, 2013, 12:37am

Gary A. Markette wrote on Apr 19th, 2013, 3:50am:
I would add Finding Nemo, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles, and The Producers (with Mostel and Wilder)Don't listen to NPR. They're about as far left as you can go and remain in this galaxy  :D.

Really? Finding Nemo? Before Citizen Kane, Touch Of Evil (The angles of his camerawork makes your heart stop, it's so elegant) and anything else done by Orson Welles? How about Holy Mountain and El Topo By Alejandro Jodorowsky? The man, in his way, was as ingenious as Welles was. And how about movies by Federico Fellini: 8 1/2, La Dolce Vita, La Strada, etc? And no one mentioned Hitchcock? No mention of any movie starring either DeNiro or Pacino? Ford Coppola? Scorsese? Spielberg? Ridley Scott?

Everyone is jumping on the Star Wars bandwagon: six films by 2020. As well as Star Trek, since they are all being done by the same guy. JJ Abrhams? Something like that. That's probably what NPR was talking about.

I don't understand what far-leftness has to do with anything just because someone likes a film or a series of films you apparently do not. Listing Finding Nemo, Young Frankenstein, Blazing Saddles ( I saw it at the theater when it first came out. I was ten. No need to see it again. I was ten once), and The Producers as "best-ever films" by a righty would no doubt find dissenters, as well. I mean, really. Every comment section attached to a current news article on the internet about anything INEVITABLY drivels its way into the political arena. I expected better from this site.

Quote:
Their opinions about movies seem a trifle uninformed (not to say stupid).

You seem too well informed of their programming and state-of-mind to be only a casual listener. I mean, were they talking to a guest? Or were they just raving and raving about Star Wars... just because. Was Adrienne "I have been told" or did she "hear it on NPR"? Her posts are ofttimes difficult to understand.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #8 - May 1st, 2013, 1:14am

Evidently you didn't see the smiley I placed after my comment. Ordinarily that means "just kidding." Maybe I needed to be more specific. So here are some specifics: anotherealm is apolitical. The BBS--as a free forum--swings left, right, and center per the leanings of its posters. I don't care if you're left of Mao or right of Hitler (actually, I do, but I won't let that prevent me from allowing free discourse). As long as you don't post hate speech, your are free to post your opinions. You cite some very interesting and excellent movies and, obviously, are very knowledgable about cinema. Please keep in mind, though, that others--while they may not have your background and experience--also have opinions  and are welcome to express them. Semi-mocking comments about those opinions ("I saw it at the theater when it first came out. I was ten. No need to see it again. I was ten once.") are counter-productive at best and insulting at worst. These lists are mere opinion--some more considered and educated than others--but opinion--nothing more. Any such list will include films others think nonsense and omit films others think superb.

View Profile   IP Logged
balero
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #9 - Jan 20th, 2014, 11:39am

Speaking as a midlander that is central Britain over the pond. I found all the commentators interesting and knowlegable. So many films are really great these days.
    I found the most powerful and technically superb film was 'The Big Country'  starring Gregory Peck, Jean Simmonds and your very own Charlton Heston.  Alas all dead now but not in our minds.
Balero

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #10 - Jan 20th, 2014, 9:13pm

Among the titles indicated, I'd list Lord of the Rings at first, because it's much deeper about the true nature of evil and what can do to people, also to some poor Hobbit, and then Star Wars... Wink

But, speaking about Best Movies ever, just think of some very good titles of the past, like Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone, Avatar by Cameron, Citizen Kane by O. Welles, or the Anime movie Jin-Roh: The Wolf Brigade or  Schindler's List and many and many more, too many to be listed here, in my opinion, of course...eh,eh Wink    

Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print