Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Random House Rescinds Controversial E-Book Contract After Online Outrage (Read 916 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Random House Rescinds Controversial E-Book Contract After Online Outrage
Mar 14th, 2013, 4:51pm

When Random House unveiled three new e-book imprints last week — and revamped an extant one — to give the publishing giant a beachhead in the growing world of genre digital publishing, things didn’t end up going so well. The problem was the contracts offered by the Loveswept, Hydra, Flirt and Alibi imprints, which put a new financial burden on writers while simultaneously removing the payment of advances and extending publishing rights through the length of copyright.

In response to leaked versions of the contract, the Science Fiction & Fantasy Writers of America announced that the imprints “can not be use[d] as credentials for SFWA membership,” nor would be considered an approved market due to the non-payment of writers, with SFWA president and author John Scalzi calling the contract “genuinely shameful” and “A HORRIBLE AWFUL TERRIBLE APPALLING CONTRACT WHICH IS BAD AND NO WRITER SHOULD SIGN IT EVER.”

In the face of such upset, Random House announced on Tuesday that it would change its contracts, offering prospective authors a choice between a 50/50 profit share with no upfront money and a more traditional advance-plus-royalty model where authors receive some money prior to release, as well as 25 percent of whatever profits the title generates upon publication.

More info here:
http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/03/scalzi-e-book-authors/

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: Random House Rescinds Controversial E-Book Contract After Online Outrage
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2013, 7:01pm

John Scalzi...a couple of years ago he was the Guest of Honor at the Pittsburgh SF con. He is indeed a comical guy.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Random House Rescinds Controversial E-Book Contract After Online Outrage
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2013, 12:28pm

I found it interesting that they are bowing to the pressure of the authors

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged