Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Ffydd Myn Mo (Read 2276 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
The Ffydd Myn Mo
Jun 02nd, 2012, 8:24pm

Excellent story!

Your thoughts?

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: The Ffydd Myn Mo
Reply #1 - Jun 2nd, 2012, 8:53pm

What a delightful, fun, interesting, and _challenging_ story! Many thanks, Adrienne!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
gschaade

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2012, 10:20am

I always read stories at least twice. The first time is for fun. I want to sense the tone of the story and perhaps take an emotional ride. The second time is with a writer's eye looking at style, focus, development of ideas, rhetorical techniques, and organization.

The first read was fantastic. I connected with the characters and their culture. The emotional ride left me exhausted and more than satisfied.

The second read was just as remarkable as the first. It was amazing how in the beginning you fleshed out so many characters and you did that with very skilled use of dialogue. The second part dealing with the alien attack was cleverly constructed. I experienced an action scene but with almost no action. How clever is that?

You certainly got my attention, Adrienne. I'm going to read your other stories. Thank you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2012, 12:15pm

I’m so glad you all liked this story.
It was inspired by something that actually happened to me.
No, I wasn’t abducted by aliens.
When I was in college, many years ago, I was working as a waitress in the school cafeteria. After exams were over, the freshmen waitresses had to stay an extra week to wait on the seniors who had to stay in order to graduate. I was by myself in the back of the third floor.
One night I awoke to the feeling of someone pulling my covers off the bed.
Would my friends steal into my room, hide under the bed and wait until 3:00am to pull the covers off my bed just to scare me?
You betcha!
I tried to sit up so I could yell at them and I discovered I couldn’t move. It felt like a board was laying on my chest. I was clutching my covers and unable to move.
Finally I made a major effort and sat bolt upright in the bed.
Then it was over. Nothing seemed unusual. I looked around and, finding myself alone, I went back to sleep.
The scientific explanation is that this condition is caused by stress. I was definitely stressed.
The old folks say this is what you call being ‘ridden’ by a witch or evil spirit.
To combat this, you must concentrate on moving one finger. They say it will take all your concentration to move just one finger. When I told this particular old folk that I sat up, he kind of got mad at me because he thought I was making fun of him. (He is my brother.)
Usually I am making fun of him, but this is the way it really happened.
I think it was stress related. I was certainly stressed.
But if it was a spiritual attack by an alien or evil spirit, it didn’t accomplish much. It just gave me a good idea for a story.
So I guess the joke’s on them.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Jun 11th, 2012, 10:34am

We've been extremely fortunate in our stories this year. All so far have been quality tales that entertain and engage. Here's hoping that trend continues. Thanks to Adrienne for keeping the string intact.

/\  /\
(=';'=)
(")_(")~

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2012, 8:44pm

Adrienne, thanks so much for the 'back story' of your story. As dear ol Spock would say, "Fascinating!" Really, it is.

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print