Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scientists Should Falsely Predict Alien Invasion So Government Will... (Read 2653 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Scientists Should Falsely Predict Alien Invasion So Government Will...
May 26th, 2012, 12:45pm

Krugman: Scientists Should Falsely Predict Alien Invasion So Government Will Spend More Money

Last year New York Times columnist and Nobel laureate Paul Krugman called for space aliens to invade earth so that the government would spend money to mount a defense thereby stimulating the economy.

As aliens have yet to comply with Krugman's wishes, he advocated on HBO's Real Time Friday that scientists should get together and lie about an imminent attack to boost federal spending (video follows with transcript and commentary):

Read more: http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/05/26/krugman-scientists-should-...

You just can't make this stuff up!  ;)

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: Scientists Should Falsely Predict Alien Invasion So Government Will...
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2012, 7:04pm

Sad to say, such a prediction from scientists might have the same results as scientists seriously predicting climate change. Zero. Nada. Nothing -- except some of our lawmakers have called the scientists' findings "imaginary."

It seems the back story there is, the "one per cent" who own all the polluting factories, etc., do not want to make a change to lessen pollution as that might cost them $1.98 or some other unreasonable sum. Anyway, if there is climate change, it won't bother them as they will be staying in the Caymans along with their $$$. Or so they seem to believe.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - May 27th, 2012, 9:37am

I believe aliens would pose another interesting concept, one world government. No matter where you are from or how big your country is in the one world pool, in a pool of more than one world you are small potatoes.

Who would negotiate treaties with the aliens, assuming that we could and they weren't out to just kill us all and use us for shoes or some such thing.

Politicians I would think would not want to give up power to a larger organization, or maybe they would try to climb the ladder of power over other worlds.

<Chuckle> maybe anybody could grow up to be a "Galactic Overlord" And what kind of world might that be?

-W
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #3 - May 27th, 2012, 8:32pm

Webbie, I think you are right. Our CongressCritters probably would respond to the alien invasion idea -- moreso than the real-life climate change idea -- because it would involve more war preparations, which they seem to adore.

Sigh.

BTW, is anyone going to the Pittsburgh science fiction con at the end of July? I fear the dear ol' Confluence has sunk to a new low of nothing-special-going-on (they have a filker as guest of honor!). But if anyone here is going, it would make it worth my while to go just to see you. Whaddaya think?

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - May 28th, 2012, 8:16am

I was thinking more along the lines of trade and commerce. War would be pretty silly, cave man vs. ICBM = very short war.

They would not be able to work with so many factions, unless they were organized in some fashion.

OR!

Perhaps there would be many factions out there to each do their own little deal with each nation/city state.
For lack of a better analog, perhaps England has a deal with the Vulcans, Canada has a deal with the Ferengi and Poland has a deal with the Klingons.

Now that would be interesting!  ;D

I don't think I'll make it to the CON. Would be nice but I fear work will not allow the time to do it. We will see but it doesn't look good.

-W
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #5 - May 28th, 2012, 7:11pm

I think you are right -- various groups would be falling over each other in the rush to make their own deal. And the aliens would be quietly laughing themselves silly and the primitives' antics.

Re the con -- alas. (If things change, just say the word!)
-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2012, 11:30am

I think if aliens came here, we would see a re-enactment of the Europeans settling America. The Indians didn't form a united front and neither will we. Even if there was a one world government, smaller factions would splinter off and they would fight.
I hope we never see aliens because  I don't know of any situation where a more powerful culture encountered a less powerful culture and left the less powerful culture intact.

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2012, 9:48pm

Quote:
I don't know of any situation where a more powerful culture encountered a less powerful culture and left the less powerful culture intact.

Star  Trek  episodes  apart, Prime Directive  certainly Cheesy....which  wasn't  respected  accordingly  many and many times  by  many and many  captains  anyway...eh,eh Grin Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #8 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:15am

BTW, is anyone going to the Pittsburgh science fiction con at the end of July? I fear the dear ol' Confluence has sunk to a new low of nothing-special-going-on (they have a filker as guest of honor!). But if anyone here is going, it would make it worth my while to go just to see you. Whaddaya think?

-- Jean [/quote]

It depends on if I'm playing in the Chicago Class Championships that weekend. I won't know that until closer to the event(s). I usually manage to get to the Confluence on at least one of its days. I'm not too interested in filk, though, and I've been wanting to play in a Chi-town chess tournament for some time. I'll let you know if I'm going to be at Confluence. If not, I'll be in the burg before Labor Day and we'll get together. Say hi to Goldy for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #9 - Jun 11th, 2012, 1:17am

Webbie wrote on May 28th, 2012, 8:16am:
I was thinking more along the lines of trade and commerce. War would be pretty silly, cave man vs. ICBM = very short war.

They would not be able to work with so many factions, unless they were organized in some fashion.

OR!

Perhaps there would be many factions out there to each do their own little deal with each nation/city state.
For lack of a better analog, perhaps England has a deal with the Vulcans, Canada has a deal with the Ferengi and Poland has a deal with the Klingons.

Now that would be interesting!  ;D

I don't think I'll make it to the CON. Would be nice but I fear work will not allow the time to do it. We will see but it doesn't look good.

My favorite Star Trek episode, by the way (with the harcourt Fenton Mudd episodes close seconds).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print