Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Terms of Settlement With 3 Publishers in E-Book Lawsuit (Read 818 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Terms of Settlement With 3 Publishers in E-Book Lawsuit
Apr 11th, 2012, 4:54pm

Quote:
Along with filing a lawsuit against Apple and five of the “Big Six” publishers for collusion over e-book prices, the U.S. Justice Department also filed terms of a proposed settlement in the suit with Hachette, HarperCollins and Simon & Schuster. Apple, Penguin and Macmillan have not accepted these settlement terms. The DOJ will continue to litigate its antitrust suit against them.

“For the growing number of Americans who want to take advantage of this new technology, the Department of Justice is committed to ensuring that e-books are as affordable as possible,” Attorney General Eric Holder told a press conference Wednesday afternoon. “As part of this commitment, the Department has reached a settlement with three of the nation’s largest book publishers – and will continue to litigate against Apple, and two additional leading publishers – for conspiring to increase the prices that consumers pay for e-books.”

more here: http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2012/04/doj-terms-settlement-ebook/

And here too: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702304444604577337573054615152.html

I wonder how this will affect the market place? Writers profits vs. publishers profits vs. consumers prices.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: Terms of Settlement With 3 Publishers in E-Book Lawsuit
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2012, 7:05pm

I have been trying to follow and figure out this controversy for quite some time -- unsuccessfully. It's beyond me. But I suspect a safe bet is that writers and readers will continue to get ripped off by major publishers.

I said _major_ publishers -- a distinction that clearly does NOT mean indys like dear ol' Whortleberry Press, Static Movement and other 'outsiders' like us.

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print