Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Past Lives of a Goddess by Barb Siples (Read 3039 times)
gschaade

I Love AR

Past Lives of a Goddess by Barb Siples
Apr 03rd, 2012, 11:00am

Excellent, Barb! A novel approach to the goddess image in religion. I loved it. I was blown away by your knowledge of mythology. Your understanding of psychoanalysis and analytical psychology was spot on. Your writing style was smooth, comprehensive, and professional. I'm very impressed. I hope we see more from you.

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: Past Lives of a Goddess by Barb Siples
Reply #1 - Apr 3rd, 2012, 6:54pm

This story was well and gracefully written but...duh. It went straight over my head. Perhaps this was because, as gschaade has stated, about its reference to great knowledge of mythology, psychoanalysis and analytical psychology. Again, duh. I don't know much about any of those fields, so that is probably why I did not get much, if any, meaning out of the story. Yes, it was well written -- it just didn't convey anything to me.

Oh well, my loss, I suppose. I shall hope for better fortune next month.

-- Jean

P.S. Or a different subject from the same skillful author.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Apr 4th, 2012, 1:18am

While mythology is an obsession of mine (I usually run the category on Jeopardy!), that's not why I chose this story. I chose it because, as both Jean and gschaade pointed out, it is beautifully written. Hint to AR wannabes: to see your story here, write it well. Learn and practice your craft. Keep a copy of Elements of Style by your elbow as you scribble and use it. Syntax, grammar, and composition may not make you a best seller, but their mastery will make you a writer. That's rare enough for me.

View Profile   IP Logged
balero
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Apr 8th, 2012, 11:44am

I found the story penned by Barb Siples very strong and if I could add to comments made by Jean and 2 colleagues with more experience than myself.

Freya awoke this old time Goddess of Northern origin.  She was confused, an old gent leaned over her commenting and calling her Mary, well she was Mary now, millions prayed to her foxing her thoughts but she needed someone to explain what the hell goes on.

There are three layers of existence in the story Heaven, with the gods strutting around, then Middle earth spiritual of course with the two famous psychiatrists (long dead) in there clinic helping gods out of trouble.  They put time in educating her and eventually she realizes her identity has changed she is needed as Christ's mother, hence the flashacks in her mind of a man crowned with thorns etc.,

The climax of the story is exceptional with Mary assuming her role as the perfect one and transposing into an idol in the Church which of course would now be world wide.

Balero

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Apr 8th, 2012, 12:53pm

Oh.

-- Jean

P.S. Why couldn't I have figured that out?

View Profile   IP Logged
Barb S
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #5 - May 3rd, 2012, 10:31am

Thanks for reading, everyone, and for your comments! In response to the reader who found the story a little dense, all I can say is: you should have seen the first draft!  : )  Best regards to you all, and thanks to Anotherealm for giving Freya some exposure. --Barb

View Profile   IP Logged
balero
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #6 - May 3rd, 2012, 1:14pm

In reply to Barb S.  We all had a go at disecting the story  and I believe it was mainly appreciated.  However nobody has yet said
what Mary meant, when she muttered to herself in the last sentence
'I think I have something to tell Eve.' But I shall shortly in out of course like Columbo solves his cases.

Balero  

View Profile   IP Logged
Alyson
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2012, 5:55pm

A well-written story with lots there to give the brain work Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #8 - May 23rd, 2012, 4:57pm

Edgar Cayce thought Mary and Eve were the same person.
A very interesting story. Here's my question: according to the story, are we influencing this woman by our prayers?
It's good to see people discussing the stories again! This story is a real conversation starter.

View Profile   IP Logged
balero
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2012, 10:13am

Further to A Ray's comments.  I am ignorant of Edgar Cayce but agree
with her statement millions pray to Mary therefore it would influence
Eve, the demand is there.

2,000 years ago there was no demand Christ had just ben born, so that Eve would have been parading as a different Goddess whatever
the demand of those times required.  As Barb S. suggests in her story
should another religion such as Islam or Scientology take over the
Western world, then the demand would change and Mary could now become Joan of Arc, as the prayers would once more change her.

Balero

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print