Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2 Science Publishers Delve Into Science Fiction (Read 1739 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
2 Science Publishers Delve Into Science Fiction
Feb 26th, 2012, 8:43am

"Coincidence or conspiracy? Two new science fiction magazines have just been announced and they are both being published by more serious science publications. New Scientist magazine has announced the publication of Arc, 'A new digital magazine about the future.' Arc features such articles as 'The best time travel movie ever made' and 'The future of science fiction, games, galleries — and futurism.' They are advertising new fact and fiction from the likes of Maragret Atwood and Alastair Reynold. The MIT Technology Review has announced the TRSF, dubbed 'the first installment of a to-be-annual "hard" SF collection.' Some authors: Joe Haldeman and Cory Doctorow. As an interesting note, both publications will be printed on paper for the first ('collectable') issue only; all forthcoming ones will be e-books."

more here http://slashdot.org/

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: 2 Science Publishers Delve Into Science Fiction
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2012, 7:09pm

Interesting indeed. Paper edition collectibles only? Hm...I guess the publishers want to save themselves a lot of money by going e instead of tree -- bet they will charge the same as if it was printed on paper. Sigh. Hope the new zines aren't as boring as they sound.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - Feb 27th, 2012, 12:40pm

I was taken with paper being a collectable

-W
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2012, 7:09pm

Paper, the collectible. Indeed. Makes one feel ancient, no?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - Feb 29th, 2012, 12:37pm

I'm not sure I like this getting old thing. Perhaps I'll try something else.  :)

-W
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2012, 4:35pm

Webbie, you're looking at this growing old thing the wrong way. You must embrace it.
Don't look at growing old as a problem. There are things we old guys know that the young puppies can only dream of. We remember life before computers- when everything was on paper. We remember life before cell phones. Heck, we know how to write in cursive!
I can't wait to tell some kid they don't know what they're talking about just because I was alive  for longer than they have been!

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Mar 1st, 2012, 1:27am

They won't believe you, Adrienne. Kids rarely believe their elders. I'm reminded of a saw from Redd Fox. He said: "When I was 18, my father was so stupid, I couldn't stand to hear him talk. When I turned 30, I was amazed at how much the old boy had learned in the past 12 years." I'm sure he didn't originate the saying. Kids, parents, and their attitudes have been around since Hector was a pup. And since cliches' were new.

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #7 - Mar 1st, 2012, 9:34pm

It's fhe  future...even  though  I prefer the  old fashioned paper Cry Smiley...eh,eh...anyway, it's some time that  some famous  RPG  Houses, like White  Wolf, put  online  an option  that is  Print  on  Demand for RolePlaying  Books and Manuals...that  is  especially meant for some old editions, but  the future  is arriving  also  for all the new  titles...in a way...eh,eh Smiley Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print