Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Occupational Therapy by Ken Lamb (Read 2895 times)
Alyson
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Occupational Therapy by Ken Lamb
Feb 01st, 2012, 10:16am

Interesting story.
A bit scary, though, for writers to be treated in such a way for less-than-good ideas.
hmmm
*goes to sort out her files so none will see her less-than-good stories* Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
gschaade

I Love AR

Re: Occupational Therapy by Ken Lamb
Reply #1 - Feb 2nd, 2012, 5:37am

So much in a short story. Incite, twist, humor, drama. And, of course, any writer can identify with the images and ideas. As for the relationship between a writer and editor/publisher, I haven’t had enough experience to comment. And Alyson is right...I’m also weeding through my  stories *good one...crap...crap...needs a rewrite...crap...excellent* That’s a good place to stop. Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Feb 5th, 2012, 5:07pm

This story reminds me of something Stephen King would write. As a matter of fact, where was Stephen King? Considering some of the crud he has turned out, surely someone would have grabbed him and put him in a place like this.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #3 - Feb 7th, 2012, 1:14pm

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Feb 5th, 2012, 5:07pm:
This story reminds me of something Stephen King would write. As a matter of fact, where was Stephen King? Considering some of the crud he has turned out, surely someone would have grabbed him and put him in a place like this.

Grin

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2012, 10:32pm

I wrote something similar to Ray a couple days ago, but felt it would sound too harsh, so I delted it. I wrote something like: This is a good story, although when I was reading it, I got flashes of "Network", "Misery", and that short story about anti smoking; where they cut off the finger of a loved one if the smoker had a remission. I forget the story's name. Been decades since I read it last.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:32pm

Was I being harsh? I didn't mean to be. I liked the story. In fact I think we all wish someone would step in and save our favorite writers from themselves and make them write their best stuff.

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Feb 23rd, 2012, 7:43pm

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Feb 23rd, 2012, 4:32pm:
Was I being harsh? I didn't mean to be. I liked the story. In fact I think we all wish someone would step in and save our favorite writers from themselves and make them write their best stuff.

No, no. I said I thought my post would come off as harsh; meaning I was glad, when I read your post, it didn't sound harsh, after all.

I had also pointed out that, as far as writing goes, I think there are too many fabulous writers out there to pick from for publishers to ever force writers to write. They would simply take them to court, if monay was the issue (as it almost always is; wanting their advance back).
Quote:
Our mission, as with any correctional facility, is to punish and rehabilitate. Grammatical errors, poor description, overuse of adjectives, bad dialogue, these are all punishable offenses. Some, like yourself, have forgotten how to write a good story. That last piece you wrote really stunk to high heaven. Plagiarists are routinely executed here”, he said. “We’ve found that there is no way to rehabilitate a plagiarist.”
Unfortunately, this is only a writer's story for writers only. Non-writers would never understand the part I underlined above. A peek at any news article's comments online should be suffice to understand that.

And as far as plagerism goes, there have been a couple teen phenoms who put out books that were said to have been heavily plagerized. Last I read, nothing happened because, nowadays, there seems to be a question of what exactly plagerism consists of; and I blame the internet for that, although pirating of movies and music has been going on for decades. Why work hard at something of my own when I can steal someone else's blood, sweat, and tears to my own monetary advantage?

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2012, 1:06am

monsoonster wrote on Feb 10th, 2012, 10:32pm:
I wrote something similar to Ray a couple days ago, but felt it would sound too harsh, so I delted it. I wrote something like: This is a good story, although when I was reading it, I got flashes of "Network", "Misery", and that short story about anti smoking; where they cut off the finger of a loved one if the smoker had a remission. I forget the story's name. Been decades since I read it last.

It was titled "Quitters, Inc." and it was by--who else?--Steven King. It was part of a movie and it starred--believe it or not--the comedian Alan King as the bad guy. That's all I remember about it, thank goodness.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #8 - Feb 25th, 2012, 11:53am

Quote:
It was titled "Quitters, Inc." and it was by--who else?--Steven King. It was part of a movie and it starred--believe it or not--the comedian Alan King as the bad guy. That's all I remember about it, thank goodness.

I remember that one. Remember  the kitty? ZAP!

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print