Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Forum Discussion: The Sword of Truth series (Read 2398 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Forum Discussion: The Sword of Truth series
Jan 06th, 2012, 5:21am

To introduce a new feature to our BBS, I am proposing a forum discussion of various speculative fiction topics. I will start with commentary about Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth series. I have heard folks claim that the books have been as influential as Tolkien's LOTR. I've read Goodkind's series and liked it a lot, but I can't quite ascribe it Tolkienesque influence. Indeed, it seems to me that the Truth novels themselves owe quite a bit to LOTR (as does most modern fantasy). Of course, Goodkind's books do contain a modest amount of sex--probably helped sales but its lack didn't seem to hurt LOTR's profitability. (One can't envision G. K. Chesterton and C. S. Lewis encouraging JRR to add steamy scenes between Aragorn and Arwen.)

Have some fun, here. How about some discussion, forum?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Forum Discussion: The Sword of Truth series
Reply #1 - Jan 6th, 2012, 12:41pm

Haven't read that particular series.

Like the author though.  :)

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Jan 7th, 2012, 6:54pm

Sorry, I haven't read it either.

Duh.

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #3 - Jan 8th, 2012, 11:19am

I've  read  the books  and  liked both  the  TV  seasons  of  Legend of the Seeker made out of those, even though the story was slightly different...

Anyway, the  two  Fantasy  seasons( as the third one  was  never produced, unfortunately...) in my opinion are second only  to  A game of Thrones  Fantasy TV  series, nowadays, as they  were  well conceived, very  serious in some episodes ( just think  of  the telling of the cruel and  bloody  education of a  young  Mord- Sith  in the second season, episode  "Broken" Cry Smiley...simply a wonderful  depiction, one of the most tragic  in Fantasy  on TV...), with  some fun  in many others... Smiley

An  English  friend of mine  suggested to me  to have a  read at  this  book series years ago( the same who suggested to me to have  a  look at  the first seasons of Babylon  5  on videocassettes  or  at  E.Feist's  Fantasy  book series, so he really  knows  Sci-Fi/Fantasy  best reads/TV  series for sure...eh,eh Wink)  and  he was right, indeed...eh,eh Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2012, 4:34am

Babylon V was my favorite TV Sci Fi of all time. I liked it better than Star Trek. (BLASPHEMY! STONE HIM!) I kind of wonder if Lucas didn't steal the name Lando for his Star Wars flick. (ON SECOND THOUGHT, STONING'S TOO GOOD FOR HIM.) Edgy without being weird; sexy without being obnoxious; intriguing without being soap-opera-ey, Babylon V raised TV Sci Fi to a new level--one not achieved since. That's my opinion. Howzabout yours?

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2012, 7:28pm

My all-time TV s/f favorite was -- and is -- Lexx. Did anyone else like it?

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2012, 9:41pm

For  Gary A. Markette:

Quote:
Babylon V raised TV Sci Fi to a new level--one not achieved since.

I  agree, surely! Smiley

Just  soon after  that I  put  Battlestar  Galactica- The New  Edition, because it's a very tragic and unusual story and only  after that   Cool  I'd  place  Star Trek( TNG and  Deep Space Nine on top and  on the same level...eh,eh) Smiley Smiley

By the way, just think  of  how  good is  the acting  of  L. Lawless  in Battlestar  Galactica- The New  Edition  instead of  her very  very  bad acting in Xena ( which  looks really  like  a bad  Fantasy TV series  from the recent past...eh,eh) Roll Eyes

Lex  is  weird, in some ways, the same as  Farscape  or  maybe even  Gormenghast  or  Doctor Who, but  it  was really interesting, indeed...eh,eh
Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #7 - Jan 10th, 2012, 3:33am

Jean:

Lexx was a very interesting series. I saw only a few episodes (came in too late), but those I saw were entertaining. My only reservation: I felt the series had a bit too much T&A. I have no quarrel with a bit of that provided it's an integral and necessary part of the story, but I thought Lexx pushed the envelope. And it didn't have to do so; the series was superb without it. I think the producers bought in too deeply to the "sex sells" mantra.

Ente:

I can't comment on "Battlestar" because I never watched it. I thought the first series silly so I never risked the second: evidently, my loss. As to the Star Treks, I never cared much for the "New Generation," but I kind of liked "Deep Space 9" (sort of a poor man's Babylon V). My favorite episode of the original Star Trek: "A Piece of the Action." How about youze guys? What's your favorite Star Trek epi?

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #8 - Jan 10th, 2012, 7:16am

My favourite  Deep  space Nine episodes  are  the ones  with Garak, that is really a good/bad  guy according to  the current circumstances, but he will  look  like a  good  one in the end, maybe...eh,eh Wink

But  Sisko  is  really a very  good character, too, and he is only partly human in the story...eh,eh Smiley

About Battlestar  Galactica: the New Edition, just have a look at  Tricia Helfer  as  Number Six  and  you'll keep  thinking  of her...the same as Baltar  does  over the course  of the series... Grin but is she real  or not...eh,eh? Wink Cool

About  Star  Trek - TNG ( and Star  Trek TV series  in general...) I liked  very  much  Data and Worf, but  Picard remains  to me one of the more  inspirational  characters  of all time, I could say the same for  Janeway, Tuvok  and Sisko in a way...eh,eh Smiley

Best episodes ever, in my opinion  of course: The Next Phase, Unification I and II, All Good Things I and II,and of course  all, and I really mean  it, the Q  and Borg  episodes  surely!!!  ;) Shocked Shocked Shocked Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #9 - Jan 10th, 2012, 1:36pm

Quote:
My favorite episode of the original Star Trek: "A Piece of the Action." How about youze guys? What's your favorite Star Trek epi?

Miri
Stardate: 2713.5
Original Airdate: Oct 27, 1966

"RED HEAD BOY: Bonk bonk! Get him!
KIRK: Look at my arms! That's what's going to happen to you unless you let me help you.
RED HEAD BOY: Bonk bonk! Hit him!
KIRK: And the little ones. What's going to happen to them after you've gone, after you've turned into creatures like Louise? Oh, they'll still be here, but not for long, because the food's all gone. You've eaten it. Maybe six months left, that's all, and then nothing left to eat, nobody left to take care of them. They'll die, too.
MIRI: Look at my arm, Jahn. It's happening to me. He's telling the truth.
JAHN: They're Grups!
CHILDREN: Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk! Bonk bonk! "

The #1 puzzler of "Star Trek" why didn't they use what they found out?
http://www.chakoteya.net/StarTrek/episodes.htm

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #10 - Jan 11th, 2012, 3:24am

I thought the Miri episode was good but, like many Star Trek Originals--a bit too melodramatic. My favorite episodes were always the light-hearted, humor-oriented ones (Tribbles, Mudd's Women, Piece of the Action, others). As for the dramatic ones, I guess I'd go with "City on the Edge of Eternity." (Not sure of this title, but it's the one where McCoy saves a woman who delays our entry into WWII and the Nazis win. Kirk and Spock go back to set things right and Kirk winds up falling in love with the woman. He has to let her die; a real tear jerker.)

View Profile   IP Logged
John Gilbert

San Francisco Bay Area
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2012, 9:26am

"City on the Edge of Forever"

with Joan Collins as the idealistic young lady!

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print