Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Are writers not allowed to comment on other stories? (Read 7638 times)
monsoonster

I Love AR

Are writers not allowed to comment on other stories?
Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm

I mean, in the last contest, there were 9 stories written by 9 different authors. Unless they were all written by one author, that is. However, taken at face value, meaning 9 different authors, why has not one author posted a comment on another's work? Do authors on here just write a story, get it posted, and that's it? No one says anything? I mean, counting stories being posted on the front page, there are the contest stories (which lasts 2 months) to comment on. So last contest time frame, there were 11 stories (2 front and 9 contest) to say something about.... and nothing from anyone? That's a sad, sad commentary.   Undecided

Boy; I can see the tumbleweeds blowing.   Shocked

I guess the question is: Why are writers even posting stories in the contests if all they're going to do is sit on their hands afterwards?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Are writers not allowed to comment on other stories?
Reply #1 - Oct 24th, 2011, 1:04pm

monsoonster wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm:
I mean, in the last contest, there were 9 stories written by 9 different authors. Unless they were all written by one author, that is. However, taken at face value, meaning 9 different authors, why has not one author posted a comment on another's work? Do authors on here just write a story, get it posted, and that's it? No one says anything? I mean, counting stories being posted on the front page, there are the contest stories (which lasts 2 months) to comment on. So last contest time frame, there were 11 stories (2 front and 9 contest) to say something about.... and nothing from anyone? That's a sad, sad commentary.   Undecided

I guess the question is: Why are writers even posting stories in the contests if all they're going to do is sit on their hands afterwards?

A puzzle indeed.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Oct 24th, 2011, 5:42pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 24th, 2011, 1:04pm:
monsoonster wrote on Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:50pm:

A puzzle indeed.

Sorry. Was a little drunk and got caught up.   Grin Nothing bad intended. I used the waybackmachine and saw only one "snapshot"; and was like, What happened? I'll explain in another post.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Oct 27th, 2011, 4:49pm

We used to comment a lot about each others' work. I don't know why we've gotten away from it. I welcome comments about my stories, even if it is to point out mistakes or flaws. So if you see anything I've written that you want to tear apart feel free. I come from a big family and am used to people being brutally honest.

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Oct 27th, 2011, 5:17pm

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Oct 27th, 2011, 4:49pm:
I welcome comments about my stories, even if it is to point out mistakes or flaws. So if you see anything I've written that you want to tear apart feel free. I come from a big family and am used to people being brutally honest.

Oh, no, no. Nothing like that. I didn't mean it like that. I meant... Okay. Let's consider the contest stories, first. I take it that the numbers in parenthesis are he number of times the stories have been read. If that's the case, one has over 200 reads. Another, over 90. This is just an observation, not a complaint. I'm just saying that out of those numbers, no one posted anything concerning those stories. Which is sad. Whether good or bad, if a person takes the time to read the story, why not take the time and let the author know it has been read.

If no one says anything about the stories, posting it here is no differnt or better than doing so on a blog; or writing it on a piece of paper, inserting it in a bottle, and throwing it out to sea. How do you even know it's been read? The numbers, to me, tell how many clicks on that page, not how many people actually read the thing. That's how it seems to me.   Shocked

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2011, 5:20pm

We used to comment a lot about each others' work. I don't know why we've gotten away from it.

It doesn't appear anyone comes here much anymore. Not like the past. Check out the waybackmachine.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #6 - Oct 28th, 2011, 1:13pm

monsoonster wrote on Oct 27th, 2011, 5:20pm:
We used to comment a lot about each others' work. I don't know why we've gotten away from it.

It doesn't appear anyone comes here much anymore. Not like the past. Check out the waybackmachine.

I think it has something to do with the times. Twitter, Facebook, Blogs and the like. Real websites don't have the charisma they once did.

Writing isn't taught in schools anymore. People are more visual, they watch more movies and read less. Look at the bookstores that have closed down in the last few years.

Young people don't dream of writing a best selling novel, rather they think of making a movie.

The times they are a changing.

-W
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2011, 6:43pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 28th, 2011, 1:13pm:
monsoonster wrote on Oct 27th, 2011, 5:20pm:

I think it has something to do with the times. Twitter, Facebook, Blogs and the like. Real websites don't have the charisma they once did.

Writing isn't taught in schools anymore. People are more visual, they watch more movies and read less. Look at the bookstores that have closed down in the last few years.

Young people don't dream of writing a best selling novel, rather they think of making a movie.

The times they are a changing.

(I know I may be repeating myself, here)
I agree with everything you say/write, except this: If the writers on this and other sites take time to write a story, whatever its length, why not take the time to comment on other stories after reading other stories? Such things are expected from so-called "normal" people who live life like lemmings and cannot think past the latest cliched phrase ("AT THE END OF THE DAY" has got to be THEEEE worst; written and said on-air, let alone in real, touchable life)  or "cutesy" mumbo-jumbo ('tween, is one. Yuck. Bromance, is another. Double yuck. Along with ANY celebrity couple twinning of names: Bennifer, etc).

But writers? Writers are supposed to be woven from a different cloth. So if a writer sinks to the same depths of idiocy as 'Bookies and Twits, then any writing with any depth to them is in dire straits. I looked at your polls on this site and was pulled in by the Favorite stories to read and write. To read, was about 50-50 for novels and 10,000 words or less. To write was the interesting one: 6 for 1000 words. For 10,000 words or less was 12. Only 5 for novels, 1 for novella. I find those results terrifying. I know for a fact "normal" people would say 140 CHARACTERS is the only length they are willing to write and read; comprehension and critical thinking are going right out the window.

I despair, I despair, oh, how I despair.   Cry

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #8 - Oct 29th, 2011, 1:59pm

I know the feeling.

I refrain from commenting myself because it doesn't seem fair being the "publisher" and all that.

I do agree it would be nice to see some comments on the stories that the writers have obviously worked hard on. But alas...

-W
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #9 - Oct 30th, 2011, 8:21pm

Anotherealm is not the only place where this happens. Over at Whortleberry Press, I find readers and writers have a _horror_ of commenting on any content in our anthos. I have tried and tried to drag it out of them, but people simply won't. So I gave up, while encouraging people to comment on whatever they wish on our Forum area. Webbie, I think you are right that the commentary has gone over to Facebook or Twitter. Is 140 characters a comment? As the remark I read all too often puts it, "Idk."

Sigh.

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #10 - Oct 31st, 2011, 12:59pm

Jeangoldstrom wrote on Oct 30th, 2011, 8:21pm:
Anotherealm is not the only place where this happens. Over at Whortleberry Press, I find readers and writers have a _horror_ of commenting on any content in our anthos. I have tried and tried to drag it out of them, but people simply won't. So I gave up, while encouraging people to comment on whatever they wish on our Forum area. Webbie, I think you are right that the commentary has gone over to Facebook or Twitter. Is 140 characters a comment? As the remark I read all too often puts it, "Idk."

Sigh.

-- Jean

Perhaps they are afraid of starting a flame war. Although to be fair we didn't see those hardly ever when the comments were flowing like water over a dam..

-W
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #11 - Nov 1st, 2011, 3:23pm

As compared to the present silence, I would almost welcome a flame war. At least it indicated somebody cared about something.

--Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #12 - Nov 1st, 2011, 8:54pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 29th, 2011, 1:59pm:
I know the feeling.

I refrain from commenting myself because it doesn't seem fair being the "publisher" and all that.

I do agree it would be nice to see some comments on the stories that the writers have obviously worked hard on. But alas...

Completely understand.

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #13 - Nov 1st, 2011, 8:57pm

Jeangoldstrom wrote on Oct 30th, 2011, 8:21pm:

Sigh.

-- Jean

Whortleberry press! Cool! I sent you an thank you note. Hope you got it. oh. I was just over there and tried to post to your steampunk thread, but it wouldn't appear.

Yes. The dumination of the world is in full swing.

View Profile   IP Logged
Inner Prop
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Mundelein, IL, USA
Reply #14 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:33am

I'm going to consider this a call to arms.  I had been away for a while, but I've started participating in the contests again, so I will take it upon myself to start commenting again.

I haven't read the contest stories yet so I can't comment on any of them except my own , and I do think that would be in poor taste.

I think I do remember that I tried not to comment on stories that were in the current contest, especially when I was competing.  I think the polite thing to do would be to hold comments until the contest is over.

BTW - my avatar says I've made 3 posts, but that must be only in this current forum.  I'm sure I had many more before (circa 2008).

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #15 - Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:24pm

That might be because I cleaned out the old posts going back over 4 years or so. The bbs can only handle so many post before bad things happen.

In the old days I'd clean out the old posts pretty regularly trying to keep everything current and on topic. Dead threads went away and live ones stayed.

Most likely this is what happened to your post count. Feel free to post some more! Smiley

-W
Inner Prop
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Mundelein, IL, USA
Reply #16 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 1:48am

Webbie wrote on Apr 2nd, 2013, 1:24pm:
Most likely this is what happened to your post count. Feel free to post some more! Smiley

Understood.  I'll do what I can, and now, to battle, er, I mean, to reading and posting (just doesn't have the same ring does it?).

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #17 - Apr 3rd, 2013, 7:40pm

Here's a comment on a contest story. I'm delighted to see William LeFleur writing again. Well, maybe he's been writing -- elsewhere -- ever since the early days of Whortleberry Press. I remember he was in a couple of our early anthos (2007, 2008) but haven't heard from him since. I think he's really good -- glad to see his work posted again.

-- Jean Goldstrom

View Profile   IP Logged
Inner Prop
Anotherealm Newbies

I Love AR

Mundelein, IL, USA
Reply #18 - Apr 4th, 2013, 2:41am

Aw shucks, thanks Jean.  I've started a couple of stories for anthos, but never got around to finishing them.  Life gets in the way, you understand.

I think I got away from AR during some of the attacks and crashes.  I started working with another web site, and now they've pretty much shut down.

AR is dear to me (my first flash, first story I ever sold) so I will be visiting and participating as much as I can.

As long as we are talking about me, I am so very glad that the archives for 2004 were rescued.  I had a front page story there called "Alone."  I had lost all copies of it (my own computer problems) and I had thought it was gone forever.  I had checked back here a couple of times but it hadn't been reposted.  Now I've recently found that it is back.  I am so very glad and I'm sending everyone I know to Anotherealm (your readership may jump three people).

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print