Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Ghosts Are the New Vampires (Read 1063 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Ghosts Are the New Vampires
Oct 04th, 2011, 1:10pm

If it’s true that every generation gets the monster it deserves, then I’m calling ghosts as the next big thing. Don’t get me wrong—I’m still a huge fan of vampires, with all that psychosexual yearning. And the crushing, inexorable huddled-masses-at-the-gates threat of zombies, either slow or fast, remains my favorite flavor of undead to get beaned with a shovel (or picked off with a sniper’s rifle, because bullet plus decomposing meat equals deep onomatopoetic satisfaction). But I believe that ghosts are rising.

Think about it: Ghosts are just extra-emo versions of us. They are forlorn and lousy with issues—attention whores, the lot of them, caught up in personal dramas and pining for an audience. That was the whole point of Beetlejuice, you might remember. Ghosting was pedestrian. There was a bureaucracy and a handbook to explain how to, you know, just be.

Ghosts are the millennials of the monster pantheon. They need to get it together, be more self-sufficient, stop seeming desperate for so much workshopping. They’re constantly trying to outsource their dirty work—make the living talk to their loved ones, avenge their untimely deaths, move out of their house (no matter how underwater the mortgage). Rattle your chains off my lawn, Patrick Swayze!

more here: http://www.wired.com/magazine/2011/09/pl_column_ghosts/?utm_source=feedburner&ut...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: Ghosts Are the New Vampires
Reply #1 - Oct 4th, 2011, 8:37pm

Who you gonna call?  

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - Oct 7th, 2011, 2:29pm

J. Davidson Hero wrote on Oct 4th, 2011, 8:37pm:
Who you gonna call?  

Smiley

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Oct 10th, 2011, 3:40pm

I hope you're right!
Vampires are playing on my last nerve.
As I've said before, vampires are the whiners of the netherworld.
They're rich; they're beautiful; and they're immortal. And all they can do is complain.
Ghosts don't smell bad and I suspect vampires do. Vampires should at least have bad breath.
As usual, Hollywood does not tell the whole story on ghosts anymore than it told the whole story on vampires.
There are many, many kinds of ghosts.
Some are noisy. Some are deadly. Some set fires. Some are weird in ways that noone is ever able to explain. Like the incomplete bodies that haunt certain English homes.
Most importantly, unlike vampires, ghost don't want to live off my life energies like a parisite. Chances are, if I don't have much of an imagination, I won't even be able to see them.
I like that in a haunt.

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Oct 12th, 2011, 6:50am

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Oct 10th, 2011, 3:40pm:
I hope you're right!
Vampires are playing on my last nerve.
As I've said before, vampires are the whiners of the netherworld.
They're rich; they're beautiful; and they're immortal. And all they can do is complain.
Ghosts don't smell bad and I suspect vampires do. Vampires should at least have bad breath.
As usual, Hollywood does not tell the whole story on ghosts anymore than it told the whole story on vampires.
There are many, many kinds of ghosts.
Some are noisy. Some are deadly. Some set fires. Some are weird in ways that noone is ever able to explain. Like the incomplete bodies that haunt certain English homes.
Most importantly, unlike vampires, ghost don't want to live off my life energies like a parisite. Chances are, if I don't have much of an imagination, I won't even be able to see them.
I like that in a haunt.

When I gave up writing years ago, I wrote mainly ghost stories. Was told no one reads ghost stories. So I stopped. But I love me some vampires. Trueblood is EXCELLENT. I love me some Lafeyette. And Tara, too. I think the reason vampires complain so much is because they are unable to accessorize with a tan, since they seem to have everything else. Although they could use that sunless lotion... But then they'd look too much like a politician.

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print