Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Edge of the Looking Glass - by Dee Travis (Read 1725 times)
Robert D. Marion
Anotherealm Newbies

Edge of the Looking Glass - by Dee Travis
Apr 04th, 2011, 2:30am

This story, I believe, captivated me for a couple of reasons. Yes, the twist at the very end was extremely well-done. But I think its true value was in the extent that the author pursued self-perception. The core investment of this piece laid with how Sam saw herself and the world, and how far the disconnect was between both. Though just hinted at by this story, it has become pretty apparent that technology, which she claimed "has repeatedly saved the World", is primary of benefit only to mask what it reportedly saved.

One missed opportunity, I thought, was with Sam herself at the end. She commented about how "beautiful" she saw herself. I really wanted to see that used again. Maybe have her catch her own reflection after her chip was turned off, only to discover she's old, bent, and disfigured.

Aside from that nit-pick, I'd like to pass along a resounding well done to Dee.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
John Gilbert

San Francisco Bay Area
Re: Edge of the Looking Glass - by Dee Travis
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2011, 8:29am

Bravo and hurrah!  In my opinion this is one of the best short stories I have read in quite a while.  Makes me wish it WASN'T a short story - I wish it was the start of a novel.

:-)

John

View Profile   IP Logged
Matt
Anotherealm Newbies

Writing is breathing
for the soul

Uk
Reply #2 - May 17th, 2011, 7:46am

I agree that it is one of the most striking short stories ever and I do feel dissapointed to know that I will never see more of the characters or setting. The twist was executed beautifully, but for me the concept of detachment and self deceit was what struck me as bold and to a degree reflective of modern life.

There seems to be this idea that life is imperfect and that we (humanity) can somehow change that, by further abusing reality until it is not real anymore. This I believe is shown by the use of the technology. By limiting all censory experiences down to those directly created by man, it leaves a very real and tragic sense of emptiness.

Cheers Matt

View Profile   IP Logged
Bren
Anotherealm Newbies

Find a dream and
live it

Bangkok, Thailand
Reply #3 - Sep 22nd, 2011, 9:21pm

Some online gamer spam! That is a great story. Powerful and thought provoking

Bren
View Profile brenda_jeanne brenjli   IP Logged