Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Sci Fi flicks dominate (Read 1704 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Sci Fi flicks dominate
Mar 21st, 2011, 5:28am

Some good news for anotherealmers in recent days: two sci-fi flicks have been the #1 grossing fims for the past two weeks. Battle Los Angeles was atop the charts last week and Limitless takes the cake this week. Just a thought: perhaps one of our writers could produce a sci-fi short and post it on YouTube. I'd be very interested in collaborating on such a project and I'm sure others would be as well. Opening the forum to ideas and volunteers. (Just a note: one of the top profit-making films of all time--Night of the Living Dead--started out something like this. Hey, if George Romero can do it . . .)

View Profile   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: Sci Fi flicks dominate
Reply #1 - Mar 21st, 2011, 6:09am

Not exactly on topic, but somewhat related: I've participated in local filmmaking contests over the last six years in Eau Claire, Wisconsin.  They usually give you 48 hours to shoot and edit a 2 to 10 minute movie.  They typically give you a line of dialogue and a prop at the start of the contest that you have to use in the movie and they restrict the genre. The movies are usually horror or sci fi.  Participating has meant a lot of work at times, but they usually have been quite a bit of fun.

The last one I participated in was a 24 day filmmaking contest.  It ran from January 28 - February 20.   The subject this time was superheroes.  My cousin and I won 1st place out of 20 movies and as a result, we got to meet with Michael Uslan, the executive producer of the Batman movies who was speaking at the local University.  He reviewed our movie and gave us advice about making and promoting short films.

If anyone would like to check out our movie, it's on YouTube.  It's 9 minutes and 59 seconds long:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1RGS6DWsBk

The contests I've participated in were all local and supported by the local public access tv station.  They're a good way for someone to get a little experience making movies and also to find others in your community who are also interested in the same.  They can help you by providing you with resources like actors, locations, equipment, and expertise.

John

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2011, 10:45pm

For  J. Davidson Hero:

that's really  interesting, congratulations, good  job!!! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Mar 22nd, 2011, 7:20pm

J. Davidson, congrats on your film win! Keep up the great work!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - Mar 23rd, 2011, 1:48pm

Gary A. Markette wrote on Mar 21st, 2011, 5:28am:
Some good news for anotherealmers in recent days: two sci-fi flicks have been the #1 grossing fims for the past two weeks. Battle Los Angeles was atop the charts last week and Limitless takes the cake this week. Just a thought: perhaps one of our writers could produce a sci-fi short and post it on YouTube. I'd be very interested in collaborating on such a project and I'm sure others would be as well. Opening the forum to ideas and volunteers. (Just a note: one of the top profit-making films of all time--Night of the Living Dead--started out something like this. Hey, if George Romero can do it . . .)

ProTip: Old and busted - Vampires, New hotness - Zombies and Werewolves.  :)

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Reply #5 - Mar 23rd, 2011, 2:24pm

Thanks Sergio and Jean for the comments about my movie.   Smiley

J. Davidson Hero

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy