Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Disaster... (Read 1949 times)
ente per ente

Italy
Disaster...
Mar 15th, 2011, 5:35am

I think  that everyone around knows  about  what's happening  after the terrible earthquake and  tsunami in  the  Pacific...

What had occurred in Japan is really terrible, worse than 1923 earthquake, undoubtedly in a way...but I think the Japanese people will find the way to work it out, they always do...so I hope!!!
For sure, given modern technologies, there is not much you can do against a tsunami, that is waves of such proportions against the coast, unfortunately...

By chance, all the people I know in Japan (panpals, friends and their families) are fine now, as they live in the south of the country or in Hokkaido...as far as I know...
But I just can't imagine the worst case if the nuclear plants can't be stopped, it is an unprecedented situation...that would be the worst nuclear event in history and that would affect an area much wider than expected, I mean not in Japan only but all over the world cause of the winds and the ocean streams...I mean, not only Asia or Russia, but also the southern part of the Pacific area and the West Coast...
I hope all the tecnicians at work understand how important their task is...
Maybe an extreme solution- as it happened in Chernobyl, that was stopped thanks to some heroes, not to the local authorities... - should be taken into consideration, that is groups of some fire fighters/expert technicians working on the site and afterwards the construction- who knows..- of a lead sarcophagus to prevent further escape of radiation....I mean, Chernobyl (which was anyway an older kind of plant and no so efficient...) was stopped thanks to the sacrifice of the men who made everything possible to intervene inside the nuclear plant, not to a miracle...
Just one thing...if such an earthquake had happened in Italy, or in most countries in southern Europe, no single building would have survived...And I just can't figure out what could have happened here if we had gone on building new nuclear plants...as recently only a Richter 6 eartquake almost completely destroyed a town in the middle of the country...and only a few buildings stood still...nothing here around would have ever survived a Richter 8 eartquake indeed...

View Profile   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: Disaster...
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2011, 12:05pm

It has been a horrific natural disaster and the final outcome of the nuclear situation, whether it is better or worse than expected, is bound to have a lasting impact on the future of nuclear power around the world.  

I can't imagine what those 50 or so employees remaining in the power plant must be experiencing.  To remain at a job in the face of such peril is truly heroic.  

Sergio, I'm glad that your friends in Japan are all safe.

Hero  

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Re: Disaster...
Reply #2 - Mar 15th, 2011, 11:18pm

For  J. Davidson Hero:

Quote:
I can't imagine what those 50 or so employees remaining in the power plant must be experiencing.  To remain at a job in the face of such peril is truly heroic.

It  is,indeed...they  do  it for their country  and  that's one of the  most important thing they can do , as it happened in Chernobyl...
But what they  do  -anyway-   is  not  only for their country, as  everyone  understands  that  otherwise  the impact  could  turn  out to be  terrible  for  all  the  nearby countries, too, and  given the ocean streams and  winds, all the rest of the world  is "nearby"...

But the problem  is that  they  must succeed  anyway...and  that has to be made soon...

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print