Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Scientists Propose One-Way Trips to Mars (Read 1426 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Scientists Propose One-Way Trips to Mars
Nov 15th, 2010, 3:49pm

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/comments?type=story&id=12148305
Here's the deal:a college professor, Dirk Schulze-Makuch, believes we will be able to go to Mars to settle there in 20 years. He thinks it will be more cost effective if we send people there on a one way ticket. He suggests we send older colonists. We should start with two ships each carrying two people who are sixty years old.
He thinks we should send older people because the trip could shorten the colonists life expectancy because of the radiation.
The trip will also shorten the colonists' lifespan because it's a half baked idea that will probably get everybody involved killed.
I wouldn't mind having the option to go to Mars in my golden years but I would have to know that the mission had been planned out well enough that there was some thought to how I might get back.
What do y'all think? We got 20 years to plan this thing. Of course, by then I will be 70- something. But by then 70 might be the new 60.
If we plan this well, we might have a plan in which the colonists actually survive.
What say you? Who's up for this?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Scientists Propose One-Way Trips to Mars
Reply #1 - Nov 15th, 2010, 6:19pm

It's an interesting idea.

The plot ideas for a story seem to there too.

Old people shipped to Mars instead of retiring.

Soylant Green et all.

Old people set up Paradise on Mars, tell youngsters to stay home.

Old geezers make giant sign on Mars that says "Get the hell off my lawn!" Refuse landing permission for everybody.

Paging Ray Bradbury....

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Nov 16th, 2010, 12:32am

The real question is: Where would we play the first Interplanetary SuperBowltm? Talk about a different time zone . . .

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Reply #3 - Nov 16th, 2010, 10:40pm

Very  amusing, for the viewers...not for the  expendable astronauts  of course...eh,eh... Cool
And, what about  an  One-WOne-Way Trip to Venus, that  is  a sort  of hell...after  all, it's only  an  One-Way Trip...isn't  it...eh,eh  :D Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #4 - Nov 17th, 2010, 11:08am

Gary A. Markette wrote on Nov 16th, 2010, 12:32am:
The real question is: Where would we play the first Interplanetary SuperBowltm? Talk about a different time zone . . .

It would be funny to watch somebody used to Earth gravity try to run on Mars.

Watching them try for a flying tackle would be hilarious.  :)

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Reply #5 - Nov 19th, 2010, 4:17am

I understand that the Burroughs novel "A Princess of Mars" is in production now. Not sure if it's going to be animated or live action. I always liked the Martian series better than the Tarzan novels (although I liked those as well) and I'm looking forward to this flick. Anyone else have any more info?

View Profile   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Reply #6 - Nov 19th, 2010, 8:21am

The title of the Disney film is John Carter of Mars and it is a live action adaptation that is set to be released on June 8th, 2012. (according to Wikipedia)

There is also a direct-to-dvd movie titled Princess of Mars that was released in 2009 by The Asylum that stars Antonio Sabato, Jr. as John Carter.  

The Asylum is known for making "Mockbusters" which are kind of lower budget versions of big budget movies that are slated to come out from the major studios.  The Asylum uses the hype of the big budget movies to, in some peoples' view, dupe the public into purchasing/viewing their sound-alike direct-to-dvd films.  For instance, they had a Sherlock Holmes movie when the Robert Downey/Jude Law version came out.  They apparently even had a giant robot movie titled Transmorphers that came out at the same time as Transformers.   So I'm not sure of the quality of the 2009 Princess of Mars, but I do have it in my Netflix instant play queue to check out one of these days when I have time.   Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print