Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
This is what happens when you stay up all night watching a zombie marathon (Read 2289 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

This is what happens when you stay up all night watching a zombie marathon
Nov 01st, 2010, 4:07pm

Tomorrow is the day of the Dead. So it was appropriate that I should watch a zombie marathon yesterday.
After seeing all kinds if living dead for several hours, I began to think about what we would really do if the living dead did invade our world.
First of all, there would be all kinds of legal issues: how dead is dead? Do the undead have any rights? How do you determine if someone is dead or just really bored? ect.
Secondly, there is no way Americans would just run away screaming.I saw one show where the zombies got the better of a tank. Really? Come on now!
The military would show up dressed in something the zombies couldn't bite through and that would be that.
The real problem would be that someone would want to rehab the zombies. Then someone would figure out how to train them to do simple tasks. Then we would have a new underclass: dead people.
Also, how long do the dead hang around? Are they undead forever or do they eventually decay into -yuckiness?
By the way, if you like that sort of thing, AMC has a zombie series on Sunday nights at 10:00. I think it's called the Walking Dead. I thought it was well done.
Except I don't think zombies could take out a tank.

View Profile   IP Logged
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Re: This is what happens when you stay up all night watching a zombie marathon
Reply #1 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 12:58am

Depends, I think, on the tank and the method employed. Now, if the zombies were to stand around reading the tank's manual, by the time they were finished, they and the tank would be completely deteriorated. Trust me: if they weren't dead before they started reading, they'd be dead soon. At the very least, they'd lose their appetite--except for manual writers.

Whimsy on a November morning as we wait for another midwest winter--what fun!

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - Nov 2nd, 2010, 4:51am

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Nov 1st, 2010, 4:07pm:
The real problem would be that someone would want to rehab the zombies. Then someone would figure out how to train them to do simple tasks. Then we would have a new underclass: dead people.

New meaning to the phrase "Dead end job"   Grin

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Oct 12th, 2011, 7:03am

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Nov 1st, 2010, 4:07pm:
Tomorrow is the day of the Dead. So it was appropriate that I should watch a zombie marathon yesterday.
After seeing all kinds if living dead for several hours, I began to think about what we would really do if the living dead did invade our world.
First of all, there would be all kinds of legal issues: how dead is dead? Do the undead have any rights? How do you determine if someone is dead or just really bored? ect.
Secondly, there is no way Americans would just run away screaming.I saw one show where the zombies got the better of a tank. Really? Come on now!
The military would show up dressed in something the zombies couldn't bite through and that would be that.
Also, how long do the dead hang around? Are they undead forever or do they eventually decay into -yuckiness?
By the way, if you like that sort of thing, AMC has a zombie series on Sunday nights at 10:00. I think it's called the Walking Dead. I thought it was well done.
Except I don't think zombies could take out a tank.

Whoops. didn't read far enough before making my previous entry. This was on page 3. Missed it.   Shocked

I don't think zombies took out a tank. The tank itself seemed pretty much intact. What the zombies appeared to do was take out the operators who drive the tank. Remember, one of the soldiers in the tank was a zombie that Rick had to shoot. Zombies are like germ/chem warfare: the whole idea is to take out the operators. Then there is really not the necessity to take out the machines.

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Oct 16th, 2011, 6:21pm

I just saw the season premiere of The Walking Dead.It's a good show but it was killing my husband because he was missing the Bears.
Here's a couple of things I've noticed about the end of the world stories.
1. Why don't they watch their kids better? After the little girl got lost I couldn't believe how many times the boy got away from his mother. I told my husband, 'Whoever writes this isn't a mother.'I watched my kids better at the beach than the women watched their kids in this show.
2. Who is mowing the grass? It's been two months since the breakdown of society and this is Georgia. I don't how fast grass grows in Georgia but in Virginia it would be up passed their knees by now.
3. How long are the undead going to be hanging around? If they are moving and hearing and eating....by any biologists' definition, aren't these people alive?
4. This is nitpicking a little, but- they enter a Baptist Church and see this huge crucifix. Again, I don't know how it's done in Georgia but around here, crucifixes are found in Catholic Churches and crosses are found in the Protestant Churches. I could be wrong about that because I understand that Independent Baptist Churches do whatever they dang well please.
5. Any body living on the East coast in a Southern state knows that if we ever had a zombie infestation in the summer we would all be infected because of the mosquitoes. When a mosquitoe bites you, it can spread diseases from anyone else it has bitten. So the infected blood would turn everybody into zombies.
UNLESS....mosquitoes are attracted to humans because we breath out CO2. So would they not bite the undead because they don't breathe? What do y'all think?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #5 - Oct 17th, 2011, 1:44pm

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Oct 16th, 2011, 6:21pm:
I just saw the season premiere of The Walking Dead.It's a good show but it was killing my husband because he was missing the Bears.
1. Why don't they watch their kids better? After the little girl got lost I couldn't believe how many times the boy got away from his mother. I told my husband, 'Whoever writes this isn't a mother.'I watched my kids better at the beach than the women watched their kids in this show.
2. Who is mowing the grass? It's been two months since the breakdown of society and this is Georgia. I don't how fast grass grows in Georgia but in Virginia it would be up passed their knees by now.
3. How long are the undead going to be hanging around? If they are moving and hearing and eating....by any biologists' definition, aren't these people alive?
4. This is nitpicking a little, but- they enter a Baptist Church and see this huge crucifix. Again, I don't know how it's done in Georgia but around here, crucifixes are found in Catholic Churches and crosses are found in the Protestant Churches. I could be wrong about that because I understand that Independent Baptist Churches do whatever they dang well please.
5. Any body living on the East coast in a Southern state knows that if we ever had a zombie infestation in the summer we would all be infected because of the mosquitoes. When a mosquitoe bites you, it can spread diseases from anyone else it has bitten. So the infected blood would turn everybody into zombies.
UNLESS....mosquitoes are attracted to humans because we breath out CO2. So would they not bite the undead because they don't breathe? What do y'all think?

Grin

Your finding the oddest things to comment on. The suspension of dis-belief is the first step in any fiction story.

Er.... unless you are going to write a story about zombie mosquitoes. On the other hand, that actually might be pretty good.

-W
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Oct 18th, 2011, 2:21am

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Oct 16th, 2011, 6:21pm:

I have to agree with Webbie. You have a very... different disagreement or points to make concerning a zombie show. I'm taking it you are commenting on The Walking Dead. I have only seen the first season. I know they are on the second season at present.

1. Kids are difficult to watch under the best of circumstances. A beach is easier to maintain viewing of children versus in a woods/forest.

2. Who's mowing the grass? I'm scratching my head at someone watching a zombie show worrying about why the grass isn't higher than it should be, in your estimation. My experience with grass, in high summer, is that grass tends not to grow as fast or tall; if it grows at all. Not field grass, but home-domesticated grass. However, since the grass isn't growing that fast, maybe it's zombie grass? Not alive or dead?

3. I've always kinda wondered the same thing. Are they digesting the meat they eat? how much of their internal body works and how much doesn't? We know the brain works in only rudamentary fashion. Instead of wondering about grass, how about this: does their hair still grow? And fingernails? Like an actual dead person's?

4. I haven't seen them in a church yet. I have never been in a catholic church, but I have seen crucifix's in a lutherine/methodist church before. And I think once in a Baptist church. It was ages ago, but it sure wasn't a catholic church.

5. I think we need to know what exactly is the mechanism that creates zombies before anyone should be afraid of mosquitoses. Is it through human saliva or blood; since there doesn't seem to be a mingling of blood when an alive person is bitten by a zombie.

6. Now HERE's something that should have caught your eye: in the first series, a zombie comes close to the camp. When they find the zombie, it is eating a deer. If zombie's are slow, how did it get close enough to catch the deer?  Was the deer sick? And if so, then what is MO for going after meat? Could they survive on fish? Squirrels? Rats? Mice? Although, to be honest, except for that deer, there hasn't been many animals shown. Where are the dogs, cats, birds, etc?

View Profile   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #7 - Oct 18th, 2011, 5:19pm

It just so happens I saw the show where the zombies were eating the deer. Actually the deer had been shot by an arrow and the hunter was tracking it. The zombie just happened to get to it before the hunter did.
In this season, I saw dogs. Also, they cut open a zombie to see what it had eatenand it had caught a woodchuck.
You can become a zombie if bitten but they also were afraid to eat the deer the zombie had been eating. I think someone said the zombie condition was caused by a virus.
Last season they discovered that the zombies go after us because we smell fresh. The sheriff killed a zombie and smear its guts all over himself (yuck!). Then he could walk among the zombies and they didn't hurt him. So they must not be contagious that way.
Apparently whatever turns us into zombies doesn't turn animals into zombies. Remember last year the zombie brought down a horse? I thought you might end up seeing a zombie horse roaming around but as far as I know that didn't happen.

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #8 - Oct 18th, 2011, 5:59pm

Adrienne_Ray wrote on Oct 18th, 2011, 5:19pm:
It just so happens I saw the show where the zombies were eating the deer. Actually the deer had been shot by an arrow and the hunter was tracking it. The zombie just happened to get to it before the hunter did.
In this season, I saw dogs. Also, they cut open a zombie to see what it had eatenand it had caught a woodchuck.
You can become a zombie if bitten but they also were afraid to eat the deer the zombie had been eating. I think someone said the zombie condition was caused by a virus.
Last season they discovered that the zombies go after us because we smell fresh. The sheriff killed a zombie and smear its guts all over himself (yuck!). Then he could walk among the zombies and they didn't hurt him. So they must not be contagious that way.
Apparently whatever turns us into zombies doesn't turn animals into zombies. Remember last year the zombie brought down a horse? I thought you might end up seeing a zombie horse roaming around but as far as I know that didn't happen.

Oh, yeah. That's right. That's right. Forgot about the hunter, Murl's  (or however you spell his name) brother. I understand not wanting to eat the deer because they don't know what's causing the condition. Nor get blood or its fluids on you (like the AIDS reaction from people), because of not knowing anything about it. However, you'd think that if it took less than a bite to infect, surely it might have seeped through the skin... on ONE of them. But didn't. Which, so far, leads me to believe the mechanism used for passing on the infection is through a bite; its saliva. But you're ahead of me in the series. You'll probably find out before I do.

Yeah. I remember the horse, but the horse was surrounded by hundreds of zombies, on a narrow street, on asphalt. Like being on ice, for a horse, really. But, yeah. A zombie horse only if they just bit him. I think the horse was eaten up, though. That was my impression, anyway. Many hands in the stew of the horse's innards, passing the entrails around.

I remember the gut-smearing scene and THE WALK THROUGH. That was good. I get the smell thing, but is that the only attractor? Being alive? If so, it is a "virus" that kills everything; either everything on earth will succumb through being bitten or being eaten. If bitten, eventually they will run out of meat and perish. Also: if they eat, does their digestive system work? Do they urinate? Do they defecate? If they don't, they'll soon balloon up and burst, you'd think, right? Like a full tick? If they defecate, while walking, much like a cow or horse, while wearing pants...? eewwww. Sticky and stinky, for sure.   Cheesy

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #9 - Oct 22nd, 2011, 6:55pm

And thanks to our discussions, you inspired me to write a story, halloween style, for this months contest.   Grin

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #10 - Oct 27th, 2011, 4:30pm

Good for you!

-W