Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
And the winner is . . . (Read 710 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

And the winner is . . .
Sep 07th, 2010, 12:53am

JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings trilogy. While this is no real surprise, it does say something about the longevity and continuing popularity of this amazing series. I'll never forget when I was first introduced to this work: as a Sophomore in High School in 1964 (!) That's right. I read it BEFORE it was cool. Since then, I have read these three books more often than I've read anything else.

And that's another telling attribute of this seminal tale: virtually everyone who has read it has read it more than once. Think about that. With all of the hustle and bustle of modern living, all of the other venues for pastimes, all of the other worthy contenders for our reading moments, we choose to re-read this sometimes clumsy, often pedantic, obviously alegoric (but don't tell JRR that), wondrously entertaining series of books.

As we used to say in the 70s: Frodo Lives! And the books he's in are anotherealm's champion series of all time.

Thanks to all who participated!

View Profile   IP Logged
J. Davidson Hero

Wisconsin
Re: And the winner is . . .
Reply #1 - Sep 7th, 2010, 10:22am

Bravo! Smiley

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author