Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
6 Great Novels that Were Hated in Their Time (Read 723 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
6 Great Novels that Were Hated in Their Time
Jul 25th, 2010, 10:55pm

6 Great Novels that Were Hated in Their Time

Raise your hand if you ever had to read a classic novel in school, only to come away hating it. And keep your hand up if at some point an adult turned up their nose at you for failing to recognize genius when you saw it.

Well, here's their dirty little secret: Many, if not most, of the books you were handed in high school as required reading were hated by critics and readers alike when they first hit shelves.

Example: It's Aldous Huxley's chilling 1932 tale about a future centered upon sex, drug, and assembly-line worship, depicting humanity caught in an endless cycle of buying gizmos, working trivial jobs and taking drugs to make the depression go away.

Mothers "Little helper" "Valium"  from the 60's Sound familiar?

Are we living the sci-fi world from our past?

Read more: http://www.cracked.com/article_18645_6-great-novels-that-were-hated-in-their-tim...

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: 6 Great Novels that Were Hated in Their Time
Reply #1 - Jul 26th, 2010, 6:42pm

Interesting article, Webbie. I have to question their assertion that "Catcher in the Rye" was slammed by reviewers in the 50s -- I got the impression it was a big okay from the start...but maybe I was reading different reviewers. Anyway, thanks for an interesting read.
              -- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print