Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The Wayback Machine (Read 2024 times)
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

The Wayback Machine
May 22nd, 2010, 6:43pm

No, I don't mean the one that Rocky and Bullwinkle used to have. This is a website. It's called TheWaybackMachine.com, I think. You enter some website name on it, and it tells you everything that ever was on that site since the beginning. I tried it with http://anotherealm.com and...YES! It listed every story ever published here since the startup in January 1999! This was truly amazing to me as I enjoyed again some of the great stories found here in those old days. Try it!
      -- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: The Wayback Machine
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2010, 6:47pm

Oops! I didn't give you the right url. Here it is, just copied from that website:
http://web.archive.org/collections/web.html

Happy hunting!
      -- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #2 - Oct 22nd, 2011, 7:12pm

Wowsers. This looks interesting. I think I'll try it later and see what happens. Maybe I'll end up sometime in the past, before the internet... If i do, I won't be able to report what I found. I might have to wait years for the internet to catch up so that I can report what I found on here. We'll see. I'll let you know, one way or the other.   Cool

(for some reason, the word "Double U-Oh- Double U" doesn't work on here)

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #3 - Oct 24th, 2011, 12:45pm

Jeangoldstrom wrote on May 22nd, 2010, 6:47pm:
Oops! I didn't give you the right url. Here it is, just copied from that website:

Happy hunting!
      -- Jean

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php The Wayback Machine

type in anotherealm.com to see the results.

It doesn't seem to like linking to the inside of the archive.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #4 - Oct 24th, 2011, 5:57pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 24th, 2011, 12:45pm:
Jeangoldstrom wrote on May 22nd, 2010, 6:47pm:

Happy hunting!
      -- Jean

http://www.archive.org/web/web.php The Wayback Machine

type in anotherealm.com to see the results.

It doesn't seem to like linking to the inside of the archive.

I went back and initially saw one snapshot and was pummeled. I was like, wowsers. I went back the next day and randomly looked through the years 2001 through 2011; randomly at each month. If you use it, you'll understand. And everything comes up. And all this was before the first time I stopped by, which I think was about four or five years ago. Late 2006 or early 2007. But there wasn't, if I recall correctly, all that there used to be. I mean, flash fiction that was seperate from contests; both side by side. The same authors had multiple flash stories; which was okay, as the rules stated. Everything looked different, too. But what got me most was the forums. Yeah. You can go back and read all the forums. The forums used to be alive. hour by hour, day to day, people discussing the stories. Granted, most were had to do with the flash fiction, but that was because there were alot through those years.

That was a great ride back. What a grand place there used to be.

Just one question: is there a reason why flash fiction seperate from contests are no longer around? That seemed to be Anotherealm's bread and butter. Brought alot of folks through; good ones and the loudmouths (all boards have your braggarts and chest-thumpers, it seems). Unless there is a technical reason that I haven't read about (I haven't yet read ALL the posts here. The recent ones), maybe it should be thought about to bring back the crowds? Just thniking out loud here. Cause, boy; there were alot of folks up in here at one time. Like a houseparty.   Roll Eyes

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #5 - Oct 27th, 2011, 4:34pm

Quote:
Just one question: is there a reason why flash fiction seperate from contests are no longer around? That seemed to be Anotherealm's bread and butter. Brought alot of folks through; good ones and the loudmouths (all boards have your braggarts and chest-thumpers, it seems). Unless there is a technical reason that I haven't read about (I haven't yet read ALL the posts here. The recent ones), maybe it should be thought about to bring back the crowds? Just thniking out loud here. Cause, boy; there were alot of folks up in here at one time. Like a houseparty.   Roll Eyes

We were a victim of our own success.

There were a lot more stories.

That also meant a lot more time to format and post them.

It became a full time job. At some point something had to give.

-W
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #6 - Oct 27th, 2011, 5:07pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 27th, 2011, 4:34pm:
Quote:

We were a victim of our own success.

There were a lot more stories.

That also meant a lot more time to format and post them.

It became a full time job. At some point something had to give.

I understand. completely. Especially if you're the only person doing everything. Formatting and posting. From what little I saw and read of in the comments, conerning flash, that's sad. Actually, it's alot like a bar that stops serving alcohol.   Cry

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #7 - Oct 28th, 2011, 1:26pm

Quote:
I understand. completely. Especially if you're the only person doing everything. Formatting and posting. From what little I saw and read of in the comments, concerning flash, that's sad. Actually, it's a lot like a bar that stops serving alcohol.   Cry

That would be very sad.  :-[

What happened in 1933?

-W
monsoonster

I Love AR

Reply #8 - Oct 28th, 2011, 6:19pm

Webbie wrote on Oct 28th, 2011, 1:26pm:
Quote:
I understand. completely. Especially if you're the only person doing everything. Formatting and posting. From what little I saw and read of in the comments, concerning flash, that's sad. Actually, it's a lot like a bar that stops serving alcohol.   Cry

That would be very sad.  :-[

What happened in 1933?

Repeal of prohibition?   Huh  Are you hinting at a repeal of a sort....? At some future date?

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #9 - Oct 29th, 2011, 8:55am

All things are possible. I did like the flash fiction it just took so much time to actually do it.

-W
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print