Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
AGORA' at  cinemas  now... (Read 876 times)
ente per ente

Italy
AGORA' at  cinemas  now...
Apr 29th, 2010, 1:19am

It's been released here at cinemas the wonderful  movie AGORA', Director Amenabar ( from Chile) who directed also the very beautiful The Others  in the past...
What could I say except it is really a movie well done, wonderful script and based on a true story around the end of the Roman Empire, centering on female academician Ipazia, who was an astronomer,too, and maybe discovered something essential about planetary orbits around the sun upgrading the old Greek theories of Aristarcus( alternatives to the ones of Aristoteles..)...
It's a story about what fanatism can do, how bad it can become and the consequences of any theocracy...     Angry
As a modeller I really appreciated the recreated old town of Alexandria in Egypt, and the Library of Alexandria, too, partly with CGI and party with scale models...     Wink
But it's also a story about the way religion can change completely uses, customs, traditions, and turn the (once) good ones into the (current) bad ones...and the movie also shows one of the (overall...)four destructions of the famous Library of Alexandria, one caused maybe from Caesar (unwillingly during the fightings of the civil war...), the second during Aurelianus's rule cause of his fightings against rebel Queen Zenobia. and then the third cause of Christian/paganism religious fightings, as shown in AGORA'...
The last and final destruction was caused by the first bloody arab invasions in history of course...  :'(
But as you can see any fanatism/war in history did its best to destroy culture with the passing of centuries...  
And a good example about the way thinking with your own head/rationalism or discussing/refusing the strongest religious theories could be considered a crime, in the end...and it had been so for a long time in history here and there  unfortunately  for  many  and  many  people  of  free  thinkers  undoubtedly... Huh

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: AGORA' at  cinemas  now...
Reply #1 - Apr 29th, 2010, 7:26pm

Agora sounds fascinating. I will definitely look for it.  Have you seen the much ballyhooed Avatar? I broke down and saw it a few days ago. Hmmm...nice birds. Nice horses. As to the rest of it...well, I saw it at a cut-rate theater. If I had paid many dollars I would have been furious!
   -- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
ente per ente

Italy
Re: AGORA' at  cinemas  now...
Reply #2 - Apr 29th, 2010, 10:04pm

Seen  Avatar...?Oh, well, yes, indeed...six  times  in  3D  at  cinemas  and  only  one  in  2D...eh,eh... Cheesy Cool
And  I  loved  the music  of  the  final  confrontation  in the  forest, too... Tongue
Spectacular...maybe  not  a  new  kind  of story...just  think  of  the beautiful  Dance  with  wolves...anyway  a  wonderful  piece  of  Sci- Fi  digital  art...waiting  for the sequel..of course...eh,eh Wink

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print