Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Two minute reviews: AVATAR (Read 1051 times)
Gary A. Markette
YaBB Administrator

I Love AR

Two minute reviews: AVATAR
Apr 28th, 2010, 3:14am

If you can ignore the political message, AVATAR is an OK movie. Not terrific, not sensational, not in the same league with, say, 2001, but OK. Yes, the characters are stereotypes; yes, the story is cliche-ridden, but the actors read their lines well and the pacing of the tale--though overlong--doesn't drag. Sigourney Weaver brings her touch of class to the film and anything Siggy touches is, at least, OK. So, if you can ignore the political message, the film is OK.

Unfortunately, it's hard to ignore the political message.

It screams above the score, above the beautiful cinemetography, above the superb special effects, above the gripping action sequences. Its shout thunders far louder than the acolades heaped on this film by critics and the public alike. Its message goes something like this: Bad-bad corporate enviro-thieves--evil, meanie capitalist scum and their running-dog militant lackeys--try to impose their money-grubbing, heartless will upon the simple, pure, natural commune of folk who are a part of the land. At first they succeed and woe betides all but, finally, in the ancient (and I mean ancient) tedious tradition of deus ex machina, the planet itself opposes them.

Spare me.

Rent or buy the DVD. Turn off your head and watch the pretty pictures. But please spare me the claims of "greatest sci-fi movie of all time." I tire of political agendas--left or right--masquerading as art.

The film's OK. Enjoy it.

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Two minute reviews: AVATAR
Reply #1 - May 1st, 2010, 9:14am

Spend the $$ and see it in 3-D.
It's much easier to ignore the politics and be impressed with the cinematography. Some of the flying scenes are impressive.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Reply #2 - May 1st, 2010, 7:12pm

Gary, I must vote with you on this one.

No offense, Webbie.

I guess if you rented the DVD you could turn off the sound and just look at the pix.

Boy am I glad I went to the low-budget movie theater for this one. Ninety-nine cents was enough IMO!

-- Jean

View Profile   IP Logged
ArthurS

I Love AR

Reply #3 - May 8th, 2010, 2:25am

I agree it is NOT the best film ever. It's a fun film. I would never have nominated it for "Best Picture." All of it is derivative. It did what it was designed to do -- give you a night out.

That said, the one place it excells is in the affects. It's a 3D film designed to show off what 3D can do today. I'm curious what people will say of the 2D DVDs. Cause if you're not flying through the air, if the flowers aren't cascading all around you, then is the film nearly as entertaining as it was in the theaters. A better film and almost as cool a 3D film is "How To Train Your Dragon." Still predictable but something you can take the kids to watch and not be bored yourself.

View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print