Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Amazon E-book pricing (Read 911 times)
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Amazon E-book pricing
Apr 03rd, 2010, 9:43am

http://www.itnews.com.au/News/171217,amazon-caves-on-book-pricing.aspx

"Amazon has in recent months sought to rework its dealings with publishers as new competitors such as the Apple iPad have loomed in the market. Earlier this year Amazon looked to take early actions to appease publishers and authors by increasing its royalty payouts."

So what does this mean to us?

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
ArthurS

I Love AR

Re: Amazon E-book pricing
Reply #1 - Apr 5th, 2010, 7:41am

I'm not sure what the Amazon decision will have on writers like us (I see it geared more to writers with major publishing houses) but I am curious if the new IPad will open the door to independant writers who can get their stories formatted correctly so as to be read by the IPad. Is there an opportunity for us to bypass Amazon (and the rest) completely and sell directly to the public? Everyone talks about the demise of the publishing industry. ie. Nobody is buying books, or reading, any more so the publishers aren't taking any chances on unkowns. Could authors offer directly (or indirectly through a small press publisher) a $5 download. A $3 download. Even a $1 download. The beauty of digital is you can have access to the entire world. All you need to do is get some attention and you could sell a million copies. (Extreme, yes, but if you're going to dream, dream big.) One million one dollar downloads. The reader gets a bargain and the writer gets a sale.

Almost makes you want to start writing again.  :)

Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Re: Amazon E-book pricing
Reply #2 - Apr 5th, 2010, 5:47pm

Prevailing pricing anyone?!?

-W