Welcome, Guest. Please Login
Anotherealm BBS
Click the logo above to go back to the main site.

HomeHelpSearchLogin  

You do have to register to post but you will be a better person for it.

The Fine Print: The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. We are not responsible for them in any way.

Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
WritingFiction for Dummies (Read 1196 times)
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

WritingFiction for Dummies
Feb 23rd, 2010, 4:57pm

My brother got me this book for Christmas.
Hmmmm...I wonder what he meant by that?
Anyway, despite the name, I have found it very helpful. For example: in writing a novel, you should have a story line that says what your story is about. It should only be 25 words or less. If the story line is longer than that, you don't really understand your story yet.
How about that? I've spent my entire life not understanding anything I've ever written.
I have a novel I thought was almost finished. Now I'm going to rewrite the whole thing.  Has anybody else read this book?

View Profile   IP Logged
Jeangoldstrom
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I Love AR

Re: WritingFiction for Dummies
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2010, 7:58pm

Must admit I haven't read _that_ Dummies book, but I've found some of their others to be quite helpful. For example, their HTML For Dummies -- I learned enough from it to make a website, or two or three.
     But I have noticed _some_ of their books are terrible losers. It is possible that "Fiction" is one of those. Dear Adrienne, don't take it seriously enough to change what you do!
      -- Jeank

View Profile   IP Logged
Webbie
YaBB Administrator
Sponsor
Front Page Author

I love AR

Anotherealm
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2010, 12:16pm

I don't think 25 words or less is a real requirement but the idea is sound. Doing a summation of your plot line will help you to see any flaws in it.

Of course the 'process' is different for every writer. No doubt there are a few similarities that everyone shares.

How many times have you started a story just to have it wander off into some other story?

Had to add a 'Magic sword' to get your character out of the fix you put them in?

Realized part way through you had to kill off a character that you hadn't planed on? Or realized you couldn't kill off one that desperately needed killing off?

Staying focused is a good thing.

-W
View Profile WWW   IP Logged
Adrienne_Ray

I Love AR

Reply #3 - Feb 27th, 2010, 5:11pm

I'm working on a novel and I've finished the first rough draft. I thought it was pretty good. It had action, good vs evil, yada, yada, yada, plus a bang up grand finale involving the gates of hell and a tidal wave. And puppies! Don't forget the puppies!
Anyway a few days after I called myself finished I reallized the heroine was still in the collapsed tunnel. I also never resolved which guy she would love happily ever after.
Talk about losing focus!
But the puppies turned out fine and it ends up that Jake, the wonder dog , does NOT have rabies so who cares what happened to the people.
So, yeah, I really do need to focus......
What were we talking about?

View Profile   IP Logged
Pages: 1
Send Topic Print